Golf Courses And Dangerous Animals

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

While watching PGA Tournaments, the network cameras have shown: deer, a Bald Eagle (flying and in a nest) and, of course, gators. Florida, Atlantic Coast and Southern States Tournaments have show gators in ponds on the Course and walking around on the Course.

Well, yesterday, at the U.S. Open in Torrey Pines, California, Roy McIlroy hit his ball into a ravine, behind an "Out Of Bounds" roped off area. The tv camera showed him standing near the rope, as well as a Torrey Pines Police Officer. He had to take a "drop"/extra stroke. But, the shocking part of this was when the camera went back to where he was standing and a huge rattlesnake was going down/back into a dark area in the brush. This thing had a huge rattler at the end. I'd never seen such a big rattler before.

Roy's ball didn't come that close to the rattler, but Roy wasn't about to go over, or under, the rope, to get grab his ball and the ball was "out of play" anyway.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I missed that. I've been watching that tournament off & on.

Here's Bullwinkle, sans squirrel:

In Utah

In Sweden

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Do you golf?

Watching the U.S. Open right now. Phil Mickelson is pretty unhappy with a +10, along with some other players that are in the higher "plus" number.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been a handful of times in my life. I bowled for a number of years, and the three folks on my team (husband & wife and single female) golfed. So during the off-season, we would hit the public courses (mostly "Pitch & Putts") a few times a month, usually early on a Saturday morning, followed by breakfast and a nap.

I was never any good. I picked up all of my stuff at various second-hand sporting goods places. Nothing matched, all the grips were worn, etc. I did not bother buying shoes, I just wore tennis shoes. I would go practice on the driving range. The first 1/3 of the bucket would be all over the place. The middle 1/3 of the bucket would be long, straight & true. The last 1/3 of the bucket would be all over the place. I basically sucked.

I still enjoyed it. The courses are so green and beautiful.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, John.......wait for it, wait for it..........we golf on our Wii Game in our living room. How's that? A few years ago, when still living in Jacksonville, FL., we paid a visit to TPC Sawgrass and an employee gave us a tour of the course in a golf cart.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As Tiger Woods can easily attest, the most dangerous beast on or off the golf course is an angry wife with a 7 iron.

A man walks into the locker room holding his throat. Another golfer says, “Sam! What happened to you”. Sam hoarsely said, 7 iron. 7 iron?
    Yeah, 7 iron.
    Sam explains the best he could: Ya know how the 10th doglegs to the right at the tee? Well, I played it with a beautiful slice but lost my ball so when I went looking for it I saw a cow in the pasture next to the fairway and the cow’s tail swished and I saw something white sticking there. So, I crossed over the fence and grabbed the cow’s tail and sure enough, when I picked the tail up there was a golf ball sticking in the rear end but the ball wasn’t mine. This was a Par Rite and I use a Blue Max.
    Make a long story short, I saw this woman looking for her ball so I yelled at her to come take a look. When she crossed the fence to where I stood I picked up the cow’s tail and pointed at the ball and asked the woman if that looked anything like hers and that’s when she hit me in the throat with her 7 iron.

To be serious though, I once hit a coyote on a fairway and at another course, I quit for about an hour when a skunk made it’s way along the green.

John Brunner and Shirley Martin like this.