Google Warns Users Chrome Browser Has Been Hacked

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by John West, Apr 30, 2022.

1. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

From KTLA:

If you use Google Chrome as an internet browser, beware: Your information could be compromised. Google issued an alert warning billions of Chrome users that the browser has been successfully targeted by hackers, and listed 30 security flaws, including seven deemed to have a “High” threat level.

The tech company is now releasing an update within the next few days to fix the bugs, which affect Windows, macOS and Linux, according to the company’s statement. “We will also retain restrictions if the bug exists in a third party library that other projects similarly depend on, but haven’t yet fixed,” the company said.

Chrome users can manually update their browsers through the settings features, but the browsers will automatically update within a few days. To find settings, click on the three dots at the top right corner of the browser and scroll down.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  2. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I stopped using chrome last year but it persist in a lot of software I own. The software are all 3d editors that use browser based libraries. Now a days there are so many people out there committing crimes trying to steal everyone's information and we basically have no control over what happens. Every time I turn a round I have to post new passwords for everything I own and I am about fed up with it. Our government officials are to busy stealing themselves so I guess the only safe way will be using a letter. I started using very long passwords made by a secure generator, they probably are the best there is. My bank changes their sign in protocol every time I sneeze and that too is getting old. Today I not only need to sign in with normal name and password I still have to have them send a code per email for one time use to sign in. You have to carry a spiral notebook around with you to use your personal online communications. It's ridiculous, and can be stopped if email providers were forced to scan everything that comes in before it goes out. Recently I have received quite a few phishing emails which thankfully I am smart enough to know that they are phishing emails to begin with and I just spam them and never even think about opening them. If governments all over the world would pass some extremely harsh prison sentences that alone would take care of at least a small percentage of the kiddie hackers. The hard core stuff comes from EU and abroad. You would be hard pressed to find outgoing scams from the US because most people have no inclination or ability to learn everything they need to know to do such a thing and get away with it. EU has always taught computer skills in the classroom for ages and due to cost most always used Linux operating systems in school which really opened their students to much better knowledge about programing and protocols which allowed anyone to do what ever they wanted using a simple home computer.

Ken Anderson and John West like this.
  3. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Years ago, when Chrome was first introduced, I had to ban Chrome users from the web site I was using due to the problems it caused. I haven't given it any thought since but this article gave me the idea that it still may not prime-time ready. Hope I am wrong.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

You would expect more from a big time operator like Google for putting out a vulnerable browser. I use FF.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think Google just doesn't want anyone competing with them as hackers.

Ed Wilson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This makes me wonder about the security of any of them. I also use Firefox and have been using their "store passwords" feature because it's so convenient. Now I'm thinking I should delete all those stored passwords and go back to the ole' pencil-and-paper method.

Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I mentioned it in a post on this forum at the time, but I have received warnings from Google about my overuse of the same or similar passwords on various websites, which suggests that Google Chrome (as I used to use it often) was not merely storing my website passwords in the browser database, but was distributing my passwords elsewhere in the Google platform.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Storing passwords on any computer is risky, but storing passwords to places that have critical info, such as financial information, is particularly problematic. The password to YouTube, Rumble, or SOC aren't particularly critical unless they are shared with other places, but I had a friend who went through a nasty divorce, and her husband had placed a backdoor on her laptop before the breakup. She had all her passwords stored on her laptop, either on the PC or on the web, and he had access to everything she did. It was months before she discovered his access.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always used outside source for PW's. I have no idea if that helps me or not.