Growing And Storage Of Medicinal Herbs

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Denise Evans, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey @Don Alaska

What do you think of this gals method of using herbs for medicinal/anti-biotic etc., but do you think the alcohol is a good idea, or w/o alcohol?

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am not the herbalist here, but I have found some things that work. My wife found that oregano helped her digestive troubles. As far as the tinctures and extracts go, I am not worried about alcohol in them. Everyone except the peoples of Asian origin (and Native Americans) make a good amount of ADH, which is the enzyme that breaks down alcohol, and a bit of alcohol is even produced in the human digestive system if they eat veggies and starches. My wife has daughter-in-law have done work with vinegars and have found them helpful in a number of ailments.

Krystal Shay and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

Can you describe that method for me enough so that I can create a separate thread for it. It's probably worthy of discussion but it doesn't seem to be Aerogardens. No, this is not a criticism. I just want to give it a thread of it's own without having to watch the video.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

I think she uses vinegar, or was it glycerine instead of the alcohol? I'm not worried about the alcohol either, I just wonder if it does increase the benefit. This gal makes her own wine so that was she uses. I bought an echinacea/goldenseal blend from Amazon and was a bit shocked that it had 20% alcohol in it. Made me think why buy all the other stuff and instead just guzzle some whiskey ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

Just call it Growing & Storage of Medicinal Herbs.

Admin and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

What do you use the Teasel root for @Mary Stetler ? I'd not read about that one yet ;)

Turmeric is the one I use every day, just a tsp in my coffee/decaf. Hoping to fend off arthritis etc. I've had just a bit in my hands but I actually cleared up about 90% of that with diet/nutrition.

8. Mary Stetler

Registered

Diet and nutrition is the way to health for most. I found the source/brand of tumeric/curcumin is important for results and that the high sugar and refined carbs up my aches and pains.
    Teasel was what I needed for Lymes disease. Antibiotics didn't work and I never want to be without teasel root again so I put it up myself.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I thought Ken was going to move my info but he hasn't yet so guess I'll keep putting it here. I'm with you on the diet and exercise, I do a keto diet & weight-training at the gym. I feel stronger, and have yet to get into any, major pain of any kind. Not that I won't eventually but also, I think my immune system is working well. I have T2 Diabetes, take no meds for it and stick with a forum of others that I've learned a lot from.

I do want to get a small aerogarden going soon as these Winter days can be hard without some sort of hobby. I think it would be fun as I love to see my little violets grow but I've yet to start anything from a seed. I'll read more on both the gardens, and Teasel today Mary, thanks much!

10. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh, LOL! I see this thread does have it's new title, ok, good to go ;)

Did you mean that the brand of Turmeric you use is called Source @Mary Stetler ? I find bags of it, no bulk here in town, but it's pretty inexpensive for a good size bag. I also use Chia Seeds, Flaxseed, and Nutritional Yeast every day. Just a Tsp of each. Lots of fiber, don't want to overdo that :D

11. Mary Stetler

Registered

I have tried cheap tumeric but without much notice of effectiveness. I recently tried Gaia herbs' Tumeric supreme. It helps. But if what you are taking works, don't fix it.;)
    You can't really grow teasel or burdock root indoors. They are large weeds and need space and depth for good roots. Quality Burdock root can be had in bulk. Just make sure your roots don't come from china.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

I'll look up Burdock root too Mary. I don't know what, if I do buy an Aerogarden, what I'll try planting first. One day at a time ya know, got to look up some things today about planting/using an Aerogarden, soil, etc. Brand new to all this "growing my own" stuff :Do_O

13. Mary Stetler

Registered

I am kind of excited for you and your upcoming experiments. I tried arugala last year under a grow light and it came up spindly and very hot. I have a planter of seedlings by my patio door that are spindly but I will be feeding them to my chick so he won't care.
    I am supposed to be gone half an hour ago. It is a good thing I am the boss.:confused:

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  14. Denise Evans

Registered

Right, I'm sure you earned it :p

I'll let you know what I decide, gotta call the dentist for an appt. today and get an estimate what it's going to cost me out-of-pocket. We have one clinic that will take my insurance but all they do is pull teeth:mad: They aren't going to get to do that to me if I can help it :(

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The aerogardens do not need soil, @Denise Happyfeet , they grow plants with water and plant food, and you put the little pods in the aerogarden with seeds in them.
    Here is a really short little video that shows you how an aerogarden works, and there are bunches of tutorial videos on youtube .