Guess The Winds Were Higher Than I Thought!!

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Denise Evans, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

We had alerts for high-winds yesterday, but here's how high they must have gotten! We started having a power outage at 8:30 pm so I took my Kindle reader to bed and said heck with it. Slept ok, could see the trees whipping out my large bedroom window. Love to watch at night sometimes.

When I woke up this a.m. I was a bit shocked but it was so dark I could only see a small part of "a" tree that came down on our dumpster and tool-shed. When I went out about 7:30 I was really shocked to see how big that tree actually was.

Here's some photos and those people that park on that side were very lucky. Even the little white car only had some teenie twigs on the trunk. One pic show the only part that hit the building at all:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

We had one of those winds here a couple of years ago and it took out several old trees and downed powerlines. We were without power for 5 days. I am glad you didn't have any serious damage.

John Nopales and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow...that had to be a wallop!...glad you're okay

Denise Evans and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Firewood...just in time for winter.

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

yep, they're out there sawing it all up and putting some through the chipper, whatever they call that thing you would want to take ride through ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Has it been raining lately? That softens up the ground so the roots give way.

I've always been surprised at how shallow the roots are on such huge trees.

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, a lot of rain @John Brunner I never thought of that but I'm sure a big part of why it finally uprooted. Some guys with old, but sturdy trucks came and worked all day to haul it all off! I was sure happy for them to get all that would for Winter! They sure earned it ;)

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Glad it missed your apartments and that you are OK. I hate it when trees fall on my cars. It's happened to me twice! I generally LIKE the cars I own.

9. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL, yes, I would have been broken hearted to lose my truck and it's a 94! Runs like a dream and even has a new paint-job! It's worth way more to me than insurance would pay, that's for sure ;)

Faye Fox and Mary Stetler like this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That is the problem of having a well-kept older vehicle. If it gets totaled, insurance won't pay a true replacement value. I wish they would consider mileage on the vehicle. Having a 10-year-old car with 30k on it is worth more to me than a 2-year-old car with 150K on it.

Mary Stetler and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

Yeah, mine has 177 k on it but lots of new parts that cost a lot less than buying a new car. I couldn't handle owning a newer car at this point in my life. My pickup is manual, no automatic anything and I love it. Plus, being able to haul things when I need or want to is nice, have a canopy/topper on the back. This gas mileage is very good too. Thanks to living so near the border, I can buy my gas in the next State which is a dollar cheaper too.

Yvonne Smith likes this.