H A A R P Is About To Ping A Near - Earth Asteroid

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by John Brunner, Dec 26, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Researchers at the High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) array in Gakona, Alaska are about to attempt the lowest-frequency asteroid radar experiment ever. On Tuesday, Dec. 27th, they will ping a passing space rock with shortwave radio waves at 9.6 MHz. This could allow them to see *inside* the asteroid.

[​IMG]
    HAARP Facility

The target is a 500-ft-wide space rock named "2010 XC15." 9.6 MHz is hundreds of times lower than typical S-Band and X-Band frequencies that reflect off of the surfaces. The idea is to see if scientists can use this method to determine the makeup--specifically what's inside--of an asteroid (via tomography¹.) This would be handy data to have about any future asteroid that might endanger Earth and need to be destroyed.

Full story at Spaceweather.com
    If you access the site after December 26, 2022 set the Archives to reflect that date in order to read this story.

¹Tomography is imaging by sections or sectioning that uses any kind of penetrating wave.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  2. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

You should see some of the huge meteorites in the Museum of Natural History in D.C, you sure would not want to get bonged by one of them when it lands.

John Houlihan and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, no amount of OSHA gear is gonna save you. I've been to that museum many many times. I lived nearby for over 45 years, and The Smithsonian museums were my favorite places to go. Hollywood special effects cannot ever come close to the reality of our planet and points beyond, huh?

Denise Evans and Richard Joseph like this.