Had The Plumber Today

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

My last kitchen sink faucet was installed 4 years ago, and out of the blue it became unfastened to the sink and slid around. Looked underneath and saw the fasteners had gotten wet and rusted all to hell and crumbled between the fingers. The faucet was not well sealed with the gasket and allowed water to enter.

The plumber had a hell of a time trying to undo what was corroded to reinstall the faucet, so instead of paying for man-hours, I told him to just install a new one. Overall it wasn't cheap. Oh the joy of the happy homeowner.

I don't bother with plumbing because every connection corrodes and you end up with a hernia trying to undo it, or you break it and you have to go buy a "wachamacallit".

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ed Wilson

It seems to me that the design of sinks, with their rear faucet locations way up at the of the big depression of the sink itself, makes access to their underside mountings the thing of wizardry. Lie on your back, dark up there, need light, then it's way up hard to reach. If entire sink assemblies were easily removable, disconnecting only drain pipe, with long extended water supply coils to the faucets, it would be a snap to service them. Dream on...

Frank

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

You are correct. It's only a matter of "righty tighty, lefty loosey" but try to get to it...especially if you are in your 70's.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Since I perform maintenance on a few houses:
    It’s a given that kitchen faucets in particular are hard to get to but once off, I learned to put extensions on old faucets that didn’t need to be replaced and if they did, I install the ones with the finger tight plastic nuts on them.
    If I have to redo any connections I use sharkbites wherever I can so I do not have to sweat any more copper.