Happy Juneteenth!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

If you are a decendant of a slave how do you plan to celebrate?

Juneteenth is a holiday celebrating the liberation of those who had been held as slaves in the United States. Originally a Texas state holiday, it is now celebrated annually on the 19th of June throughout the United States, with varying official recognition. Specifically, it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all people held as slaves in Texas were free.

2. Lon Tanner

Registered

Today Is Juneteenth, Bring out the Fried Chicken & Watermelon.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know about "the Fried Chicken & Watermelon" thing, but this should be celebrated:

Juneteenth is a holiday celebrating the liberation of those who had been held as slaves in the United States. Originating in Texas, it is now celebrated annually on the 19th of June throughout the United States, with varying official recognition. Specifically, it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all people held as slaves in Texas were free.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I just put this, on your other thread about "Fried Chicken & Watermelon".

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Don't Know? How about an opinion then.

6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

After the Fried Chicken, Watermelon, and Hog Jowls, there will be tap dancing...bring your Banjo!

Harry
    004.JPG

7. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Lon,are you perpetuating a stereotype? Mighty white of you!

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It may be meant as a stereotype but to think of it, even though only approximately 11% of the consumption of the vegetable is accounted toward African American use, it is native to West Africa and is one of the healthiest foods of it’s type.
    And, since African Americans have their own lion share of problems with High Blood Pressure and Diabetes, the consumption of watermelon is touted as being able to lower the risks of diabetes and can help lower one’s blood pressure.

One may also note that around the 1890’s, the street side vendors of watermelon were mostly black and it presumably was marked as a symbol in their new independence.
    Of course, those who objected to the abolition of slavery along with minstrel shows w/song made the coupling of watermelons and the black population a symbol of laziness and low intelligence thereby creating the aforementioned stereotype.

9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I always thought that Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation freed the Slaves.....o_O

Hal

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Emancipation Proclamation did not free all the slaves especially in those states that were loyal to the union which bordered confederate slave states.
    The Emancipation Proclamation had two reasons for being signed by Lincoln. Yes, the first one is obvious which was to indeed free the slaves but the secondary effect was upon the south as more of a military device.

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

Being a slave descendant has had to be a struggle and if you are one, be well.

12. Lon Tanner

Registered

If I were Black I would for sure celebrate this day in some fashion. Many Black people were able to move on to great achievement when slavery ended.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Each year, on Juneteenth, I free one of my slaves.

14. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As of this week, white federal workers and perhaps some employed elsewhere will get a day off to do what is often done on federal holidays -- go shopping, go to the beach, have a BBQ, drink too much, and all that jazz.

What I'm doing is watching some movies on dealing with this historical event to learn more about it. And reading up.

Sunny Bonet and Lon Tanner like this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm watching reruns of journalists speak of visting the dark continent and being astonished at how many African-Americans they have over there (I just love my intellectual superiors.)

I'm not certain what struggles the descendant of a slave might face. Hell, most people have no idea what struggles their parents or their grandparents faced. We all do what we can with our lives.

I can tell you what the slave descendants in this rural county of one of the original 13 colonies are doing...they're flourishing. They are succeeding. I gotta say that their work ethic puts this soft desk jockey to shame sometimes. One of them states that he's glad his ancestors were brought over here to save him from a life of Hell in Africa.