Haunted...

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Don Alaska, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Are you haunted by things from the past? I awoke this morning to thoughts of a little girl in 1980. It is a complicated story, but she was about 18 months old and died as she cried bloody tears and blood streamed from her ears and nose. Her last words were, "Mommy, me sick...."

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, Don. I have talked about it in the past on SOC so I won't again. It is just too painful. Four major horrible tragic happenings with one of an unspeakable horrific nature. I don't know if haunted is the best word, but it is close enough. I liked your post not because of the horrible thing that haunts you, but because you can talk about it and perhaps deal with it better.

I might add this question to the discussion ... Have you found your "haunting" is getting more or less intense with age. I find mine getting more intense probably because I have more time to reminisce. I dealt with my "hauntings" by keeping busy and my mind occupied.

I was asked once if maybe dementia at an old age might be a good thing so I could forget. I say no, I do things to fight dementia every day. I want to remember it because it establishes validity in my life and why I chose the paths I did. When this subject arises and ministers, psychologists, or other self-proclaimed experts start their speel, I always asked them if they have first-hand experience watching a horrific death. Most say no, so I discount their opinions and advice.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am "haunted" by two things; people I have hurt and things I should have done and didn't. I suppose those are more regrets than hauntings.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I think regrets can become hauntings. The thing I console myself with is the fact I cannot go back and change any of it. Only Marty McFly has the machine to do that and I have yet to meet Marty.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Try to train yourself not to be things you cannot change unless you can advise others to avoid the pitfalls. The little girl I mentioned was particularly tragic because the mother was given specific instructions she did not follow. Perhaps the pediatrician was not clear as to the danger her daughter COULD be in...don't know that, but if mom had followed instructions, her child might not have died.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not haunted by much of anything and only a few regrets that aren't worth thinking about to any degree.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good for you, I hope.
    It seems that many cases of trouble up there, in the brain, is from swelling walls of the vascular system. The liver normally produces something like l-glutathione when there is enough the swelling is at a minimum, and when there's not enough, well...
    So finding a tolerable food, drink or supplement/powder, capsule or tablet
    that encourages l-glutamine or simply provides it
    results in less swelling almost always, thoughout the body, including the vascular system,
    and tada halleluYAH , less trouble up their in the brain house.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, but mostly about things that I have done or said that may have hurt people, whether I intended to do so or not. In at least one case that comes up often in my mind, it's something that I missed. Someone came to me for help and I didn't realize how important it was because I was busy with other things in my life.

Don Alaska, John West and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I would not use the word haunted, but I do think about negative things from the past at times, but it’s useless to fret about them because they can’t be undone. One of the best things that someone ever told me was “always forward and never back”.

Don Alaska, John West and Faye Fox like this.
  10. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The “always forward and never back” advice is sound. One of the discordant aspects of HS reunions was the extent to which people wanted to reminisce. Being more interest in what people were doing and thinking now, I never fit into those aspects very well. I did enjoy my HS reunions, though, because I liked all the people I went to school with. I never went to a college reunion, having graduated off year due to working nights. Another stupid aspect of looking back was the talk of ghosts of the past haunting the halls of good ole PHS. I think there's something to the idea that looking back has some relationship to thoughts of ghosts.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.