Have A Gun At Home That Is Loaded And Ready?

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Here we have the Castle doctrine. If someone is breaking in and you fear for your life, you can use a gun--once he is inside. People 'jokingly' say make sure to drag them into your house. I used to be able to do that sort of stuff. Not sure about today. If someone is breaking in, anything they have would be greater than what I have so I would just be topping his strength.;)

2. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Nope, no guns in the house or in possession- no ammunition. I don't gun hunt anymore, and I don't need a gun to control predators on my livestock anymore, so there's no need to have a gun. And as far as security goes, our house has not been locked for over twenty years, we leave the keys in our vehicles, and we don't have any need of guns.
    If I have to have a gun to be secure, I'll live somewhere else.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think we've ever lived anywhere where we've needed a gun for security. However, we both like target shooting, so that's why we have what we have. We don't hunt, and never have, but have nothing against hunting. Love to see mounts in a sporting goods store.

Funny, but our one nephew asked his MIL (my wife's older sister), "why do people have guns in their homes?" Well, being that she is totally/100% against firearms, she was the last person he should've asked!

I've known farm and ranch pre-teen and teen that learned how to shoot. The entire family owns/shoots firearms.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I wish you well, @Ed Marsh. I know you don't carry insurance on anything since you have posted before that you don't believe in preparing for anything that probably won't happen, but just be aware that, should you decide for some reason to take out insurance, they might not pay out if you have left things unlocked particularly with the keys in the ignition. It can be listed as "failure to take reasonable precautions". I have never seen it on a house but I have seen it happen on vehicles, so check with the policy should you decide to prepare for something that might not happen. Oh, and as far as the gun goes, make sure you have your funeral paid for so that your heirs won't have problems paying for things if you should need a gun and not have one available. No need to move then as your heirs will be burdened with selling you house and belongings as well as those of other inhabitants of you dwelling.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In all fairness, I do believe that there are a lot of places where people might live without having a reasonable expectation of needing a firearm for protection. At least in part, however, these places are made safe because others in the neighborhood are armed. Think of it like bears. The only reason that a 400-lb black bear is more likely to run from you than kill you is that generations of being hunted made them afraid of people. Thus, even though you may not be armed and surely couldn't duke it out with a bear, the animal is far more likely to run from you as anything else.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good evening to all-
    Mr. Alaska- I don't know where you got the notion that I ever posted anything about me not preparing for anything. You must have me confused with some else. I assure you, I am quite prepared for most anything that might arise- both physically and financially. And I am not concerned about funeral arrangements- those have been made and taken care of. And since my house and all belongings are paid for, no one in my house will need sell anything.
    I appreciate your concern for my well-being, but I think I have my life in order- at least, to my satisfaction.

And I have not led a particularly protected and sheltered life, but I have never in my life been in a situation where my having a gun would in any way have made things better. And at this point in my life, I don't expect I will be in a situation where I'll need a gun.

So, I'll do as I think best in this as in most things. And there will be no guns in my house.

7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I don't have you confused with anyone. You posted that you didn't prepare for anything that was not likely to occur. That is what fire extinguishers and insurance is for. Since you don't prepare for unlikely events, I assumed that meant you had no insurance ( I have had house and car and life insurance for over 60 years but never used it once. That makes it unlikely to be used). I don't care if you have guns or not, but I did want to point out the flaws in your thinking. I always prepare for things I hope never occur.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

My father gave up hunting for good about the time I became a teenager, but collected several guns for target practice after that. I inherited them. Kept only two .22 rifles, one 20 ga shotgun, and two handguns.

No way would I ever keep any of them at home loaded. I don't even know where the ammunition is for them, except a Smith & Wesson 32-20 revolver. The shells look to be as old as the gun, likely made before 1930.

The closest I ever came to wanting a weapon was one night about 2 am. Someone fiddled with the handle on the front door a long time, trying to get in. In the morning I figured it had to be someone who was drunk and went to the wrong house by mistake. Having a loaded weapon might have ended in a disaster.

I live on a very busy street, almost on a corner. Very safe. But even if I lived in the country I wouldn't keep a loaded gun in the house. Not even if it were locked up.

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

You are responsible for the guns you have. You have to be sure of your target. Hopefully you wouldn't shoot someone who was no danger to you or yours.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just to piggy back on your post.
    No one expects to get car jacked and shot at the grocery store.
    I am sure that no one behind locked doors expected it when the house was broken into and everyone inside killed.
    Women do not wake up in the morning and expect to be raped sometime that day.
    Virtually no one, sans someone on their death bed, expected to die when they did and chances are, not in the manner in which they met their demise.

Being prepared for the unexpected is not paranoia, it is what a reasonable and thinking person does.
    In our situation, to me, having a loaded weapon is like having a bottle of aspirin sitting close by or even having extra food in the pantry.
    In case of a suspected heart attack, take an aspirin. In case of a food shortage, we have food.
    In case of someone breaking into the house, we’re armed and in my particular case, highly experienced.

I too have a conscience and do not want to see anyone die especially by my hand.
    But, how will my conscience be if my wife gets killed during a break-in all because I wasn’t prepared for a break-in and didn’t have the mental and material wherewithal to protect her?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  11. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Mr. Alaska, with all due respect to you, I never stated that I don't prepare for anything unlikely to occur. I did NOT write that. And I do have all logical and necessary preparation for my home and myself. You can assume what you want, but you assume wrong about me and mine.

And I really do not need you to "point out the flaws in my thinking." My wife takes car of that.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

At the farm, I can't see into the piney woods and who might be in there so foxes and coyotes have to be to the south of there with a railroad berm behind them, running the length of the property. And a strategy has to be made for shooting to the outside of the house if someone is trying to kick in a door.
    I am surprised at how many people actually have guns in Wisconsin. During hunting season, apparently, we are about the largest malitia in the nation. I even know Democrats that own guns. But it is everyone's choice, like fire extinguishers and life insurance whether to have one or not.

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Cody, 'you should've been a cowboy', I would put up the song but I'm probably past my quota on videos and Kens nerves already this morning. :D
    People don't realize with my penmanship, typos and spelling I'm doing them a favor using songs to 'tell it like it is. which reminds me of another song by Billy Joe Royal:oops:.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeeee haaawwwww, Texas!! :D:D

upload_2024-2-12_11-36-14.png

15. Mary Stetler

Registered

Watch out! You may get another migrant, this time from Wisconsin:rolleyes:

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.