Have You Done Any Downsizing?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm certain there are a lot of train enthusiasts around that would love your trains especially with the holiday season creeping up. What a fantastic gift they would make. You are going to make someone very happy.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

No, Von...you don't understand!

Everybody wants HO scale trains, which are 1/87 normal size. This is the most popular scale in the world.

My trains are O scale, which are 1/48 normal size, almost twice the size and 6 times the weight of HO Scale. Total incompatibility!

The availability of O scale 2 Rail trains is almost nonexistent, which is why there is no demand for them.

I could GIVE my trains away and nobody could use them because they are a bastard scale. I chose O Scale 2 Rail because it was the most authentic in appearance.

Hal

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I understand vintage though, @Hal Pollner. Even if you gave it away someone is going to enjoy it just as much as you have.

4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The only thing we downsized was our clothing we donated three large leaf bags Of new and slightly used clothes to charity.
    With a attic, basement, garage and barn full of stuff we talked about downsizing, so far it's only been talk. About the only thing I downsized is my hair..... I got a haircut.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, several times.

6. Hal Pollner

Registered

7. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

How odd, nope not standard frames. The avatar is cropped from one of our wedding photos and the original looks OK. Wonder how it got so distorted? I hadn't noticed till you mentioned it, must be because of my lousy eyesight. Have to try and upload it again and see what happens.

8. Bibbi Wright

Registered

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Bibbi Wright

Registered

Have you considered eBay Hal? There seems to be some O scale stuff for sale there.

10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes we have downsized allot of large possessions since Feb 2020 it stated with our cars ( we had one for towing the caravan and one for using for most of our other running around ) The Rodeo was super thirsty fuel wise so it only got used when we used the caravan .
    So we traded both cars in on a new car. We love to travel so we had great plans to drive to Queensland( about 2200 km each way ) during winter instead of flying up there each July ( Winter here ) for a month …but we all know why that didn’t happen .

During the worst of Covid in Australia we decided to sell the caravan ( as many were looking for caravans to live in )

We sold many of the extras we’d accumulated after buying the caravan 20 + years ago ,extras like generator / mini washing machine / portable fridge freezer .

We let many things go with the caravan to make things easy on ourselves trying to sell latter.
    A 35 year old single man purchased it to live in .

When things improved and many Covid rules were relaxed we had a garage sale of unwanted goods
    which was hugely successful $$ wise for what we considered as good gear but like all used goods not worth allot of
    $$
    Since then I’ve had a good clean out of clothing and the linen press I still had sheets from when my youngest child
    was young he’s 47 this month .
    I’ve recently had a clean out ( downsize ) of the size and the amount of Tupperware I had in my walk in pantry
    I still had square Tupperware containers that helped 3 kg of flour / sugar …so now I have decor brand containers that hold 1kg flour ect so I have a box the size of a large microwave full of Tupperware waiting to go to the Op shop (they would have had it long ago if it wasn’t for Covid )

As well as a huge bag of mixed things like books / clothing / bags / fabric sewing stuff I’ve downsized / laces / crafty stuff / brand new bedding that was for a single bed that was in-my sewing room ( sold bed ) as op shops won’t take beds now days even if that are as new as the single bed was .
    So yes I’ve done quite allot of downsizing .

Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  11. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Downsized from a 4 bedroom, 3 bath colonial to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath carriage house.

Hedi Mitchell and Von Jones like this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Registered

Bibbi, eBay is the worst choice for trying to find specific model railroad equipment.

For months they have been offering me opportunities to bid on O-Scale 3-Rail Brass locomotives, when I have told them several times I need O-Scale 2-Rail locomotives, and not Brass models!

I have recently tried to tell them to take me off their mailing list, yet they continue to offer me locomotives that are all wrong for my needs!

Hal

13. Hal Pollner

Registered

Lon, here's the floor plan of the apartment I'll be moving into at Solstice Senior Living.

It's on the 2nd level, 975 sq. ft.

Hal
    IMG_5211.JPG

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

YESS!
    Hal

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner - just a thought if your trains will not sell, you could donate them to a university or toy store. Something along those lines. I hope though you can sell them. I miss our little trains and the town of Mitchellville we created years ago.:(