Have You Ever Been Part Of A Book Club?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Have you ever been part of a book club? If so, what did you do there? If not, is this something you ever thought you might want to do?

By book club, I mean one that meets to discuss books, not one where they send you a book every month so that you buy it. I'm talking about a book club, like some libraries sponsor, or that people might hold in their homes.

I've always thought that a book club might be an interesting thing, in which a group of people would read the same book and discuss it. I never have attended one, though.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Von Jones likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Not really a book club but was involved at the local library with a garden club.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Never been in a book club, but when I worked several coworkers ate lunch together and discussed what we were reading. We'd pass around books we enjoyed; this was before everyone had an e-reader. Seems like most of them were reading cheesy romance novels and I always had the latest Stephen King or that genre. :D

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Never a book club, probably because we don't read that much. Actually, there has been only two books that I've read "cover-to-cover": Moby Dick and Catch Me If You Can.
    We are both tv watchers.

5. Kay Baker

Kay Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

Many years ago, I belonged to 2 book clubs (Literary Guild and Doubleday) where you got a book selection or you could choose something else. I wish they still existed....or maybe I don't...haha.

I belonged to a book club in AZ. We lived in a golf community and there was a book club that met once a month at the club house. I only went for a short time because I never cared for their choice of books.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Kay Baker

Kay Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

Same here. The company I worked for was the same. The girls would exchange books with each other but mostly they were romance or something I wasn't interested in. I'm such a rebel...haha :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never have been in a book club. I am my own book club. I discuss it with myself.:D
    I like a variety of books, but no romance books for me neither. I gave all my boxes of physical books that I kept to the library years ago, after I got my first Kindle. Good thing too, I probably couldn't read the small print in them anymore now if I wanted to. :p:D

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is me, too, @Krystal Shay; I have pretty much given up on buying paperback books because (even with my reading glasses) they are just hard for me to read. My kindle (or more usually, my iPad Mini) is perfect for me for reading. Even if it is a large book, it does not take up much room if I want to take it along in my purse. And if i am traveling, then I can have several books along and all on the kindle.

I usually am my own book club, too ! I do sometimes share about good books with my daughter, and she likes to read many of the same kinds of books as I like.
    Time Travel books have always been a favorite with me, and I like the ones that are several books in the series. John Heldt has several time travel series, and I have enjoyed all of them.

Kay Baker and Krystal Shay like this.
  9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope. Usually because the book clubs in my area weren’t interesting to me

Kay Baker likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My daughter and I had similar tastes in books, so much so that she would call for me to recommend a book to her. She was actually my wife's daughter from a previous marriage, but we realized the similarity in reading tastes when she stored her books at our house while she was deployed overseas and about a third of her books were ones that I had and, later, she liked most of the books that I recommended. It was not a book club, but we did discuss books.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I've belonged to a couple, not really to my liking.

Ken Anderson and Krystal Shay like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not much of a 'joiner'. But I remember my Uncle joined a few. This was an intelligent, well traveled man. He said he stopped because the people in the groups did not actually read the books assigned. They mostly wanted to just sit and talk after a few related items were brought up.
    I wonder if it was like our hi-jacking threads here.:rolleyes:

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

You ring?:p, its attention span not on purpose. One wrong word and I'm off to the races.
    See what I mean this thread isn't about high jacking:oops: threads.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Marie, we all seem to do it.

Marie Mallery likes this.