Have You Ever Traveled Abroad?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Almost 30 years ago, my husband and I honeymooned in Vienna, Austria in February. It was so beautiful. There was snow everywhere and all these wonderful old buildings and cathedrals. We went to the symphony and visited the Opera House. There was a huge "technology" museum but everything was written in German so we just had to guess what the items were. Even though we couldn't read the text, we could see the dates - there were thousands of items that dated before 1000 AD. Being from the US, it was truly amazing to see museum pieces over a 1,000 years old and architecture from the Middle Ages.

We also spent a couple days in Munich, but it was just another big, modern city - like New York or Boston. We drove through the black forest, stopping at each overlook. We then spent an afternoon in Salzburg, which was a quaint alpine city, just like you would imagine when you think of Mozart. We were only able to stay 2 weeks, and have always wanted to go back. Maybe one of these days.

So, how you traveled aboard, and if so, where? I loved to hear about all the wonderful places you guys may have lived or visited.

Susan Long likes this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

No, sorry to say I have never been out of the states. I do plan to go to Paris one day soon. Sometimes I must say I am not all that comfortable with the stuff that is going on in other countries I am not that sure if I want to go out of the country.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Other than a Caribbean cruise, my travels outside the country were restricted to Canada and Mexico and, even then, I didn't go far from the border, except for one trip to Mexico City to deliver an ambulance that we were donating to a Mexico City EMS company. There were dangers, of course, but, fifteen years ago, it wasn't all that dangerous traveling in Mexico. That doesn't seem to be the case today.

4. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved my trip to Ireland and England back in the 90's. Really, experiencing a portion of the Irish culture was great fun to me. I enjoyed the rides in the countryside which were lined by rock fences. Also, the small towns were very quaint and welcoming.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm sorry, I do get a bit confused at times. I had thought that originally the question had a "with" in it and I was a little worried over the sexist thing that is going around. I would have answered yes of course but would have pointed out that she was a little bit of a rapscallion but definitely not a broad.

Now, after reading the other replies,I see that my eyes and brain were in err so the proper answer would be yes.
    Barcellona, Spain; Manchester, England; Vietnam; Taiwan; Tokyo, Japan; Hong Kong, China; Rome, Italy, and a couple of other countries too close to call overseas (aka abroad) i.e. Bahamas, Mexico, ect.

I am hoping for an Irish connection at some future time and my wife wants to take a cruise. (probably the med)
    The one country I will never go back to but thought I would while I was there is Vietnam.

While on vacation with the United States Army I was asked if I wanted to go to some place tropical and I said yes. A vacation in southeast Asia is, after all, any man's dream but this one came with shoot em up bang bangs and things that fell out of the sky and went boom, which is not on my list of great things to do. I learned that from then on to never allow the government give me any "all expense paid trips," to anywhere. It does make me a little upset though, because O'Bama gets to play golf wherever he goes, to the tune of nearly 2 million bucks worth. All I got was "Ho Chi Minh's revenge" for 365 days and later a dose of PTSD.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  6. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I have been to Ireland, France, Germany and England so far, and this year I'm going to visit Greece, and I can't wait, I am really excited!
    I would love to go on a trip around the world before I die, that's my very big dream.

7. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Me, too. I'd love to go on a European River Cruise and do some exploring. Or maybe something like the Orient Express train. I also really want to go to Scotland and Ireland, and research my roots. Our retirement dream is to sell the house and buy a sailboard, and sail down the East Coast of the US, go around the tip of Florida into the Gulf of Mexico and explore Central America.

There's so much beautiful nature to explore and history to see and relive.

Helene Lawson likes this.
  8. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have lived in Ireland for five years, it's an entirely beautiful country! You should go there some day and you won't regret, I could guarantee you this. :D
    That would be very interesting, wish you luck in going for a trip like such you mentioned. :)

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Today I was reading an article about a huge 87 mile long cave that was discovered in Viet Nam. Now, crawling through a cave does not sound vey much like a vacation to my way of thinking; but this cave is an exception.
    Over the eons, the river has eroded under the mountain, creating natural skykights, and letting in enough light for plants to flourish inside and even a place for animals to live.
    They take people through the cave on a week-long camping tour, and the pictures they have of the forest/jungle inside of the mountain are just totally beautiful.
    Except for a day trip into Mexico many years ago, I have not been out of the United States, and I have never been abroad. I think that it would be awesome to be able to travel and see more of the world, at least the parts of it that are still safe to travel to and visit.
    Be sure to watch the video at the bottom of this webpage link.
    It is a drone fly-through the whole length of the cave and forests, and the pictures of this "inside world" are just amazing !
    It makes you wonder if maybe there really IS a Hollow Earth, after all....

http://www.enlightened-planet.com/2015/03/a-farmer-saw-hole-in-rock-and-inside.html

10. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I've managed to make to just over 40 countries. I suppose that those of us in Europe are lucky in the sense that there are lots of countries that are not very away. I've been to most Eastern European countries, including my first trip to Russia last year. Even Moscow is only about three and a half hours from London, so unless you're planning to go a long way east in Russia, nowhere in Europe is very far away.

I've been lucky enough to work in three African countries: Ghana, Ethiopia and Eritrea. I've also visited Tunisia, Morocco, Libya and Egypt, none of which entail long flights.

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

There are so many places on and off this planet I would love to see. Alas, I've only been out of the states twice. The USAF treated me to a trip to Panama in 1961. I watched a ship go through the locks on the canal and visited the pirate Henry Morgan's fort.
    In 2006 my wife and I took one of those cheap overnight cruises to the Bahamas. It was fun and the Bahamas are beautiful but too many tourists like us.

12. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

To be honest I have never actually been out of the United States when it comes to travel. I have known a few people who have gone to England and Scotland. I remember them talking about having to get passports and going through customs along with exchanging our currency to the one used in that country. Would I ever want to travel to another country? Well, to be honest having seen the beauty of Canada and Austrailia on TV and in Movies I wouldn't mind traveling to one of these countries. To me these countries are shinning examples of how beautiful the earth can truly be.

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread reminds me of my first travel to a foreign land and that is Hongkong way back in 1994. We had no extra money and our budget was just for survival, sort of. We took that trip because I really wanted to ride an airplane. Upon our arrival In Hongkong, we were lucky to be met by my husband's cousin who treated us to an authentic Chinese restaurant. For dinner, we bought dimsum by the sidewalk and ate inside the hotel room. Talk of scrimping, hahahaaa. And I remember our camera, we borrowed it from a colleague, an instamatic with 24 shots of film. Truly that was one good trip that I will never forget.

And now? We go to Hongkong at least once a year although we've been there twice in 2013.