Have You, Would You, Treat Your Pets With Cbd For Medical Issues?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Janine Coral, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am presently interested in this topic, mostly because a couple friends
    are beginning use of CBD and hemp products to treat their pets for pain
    issues. I am wondering if there is a difference between CBD and pet CBD?
    Pros and cons. I'm only starting recently to want and learn more about this
    in regard to treating pets for various conditions, especially pain.

For me, I will just be reading posts, and not posting much. Just here to
    absorb and educate myself..

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_5038.jpeg We took care of a very old little dog 3 seperate times for a total of 6 weeks and she had one drop of hemp oil added to her food daily , ( she’s now deceased )

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

This is an aside, but my daughter-in-law has a very old large dog. It was on its last legs and could hardly move. She took her dog off all forms of commercial dog food and basically put him on a keto diet. The dog totally recovered and is now fine. I guess it shows that dogs are still really carnivores that we have tried to turn into omnivores. We, on the other hand, are omnivores that are being turned into either A) carnivores (keto diet), or B) herbivores (veganism). We can, however, adjust more readily than can dogs and cats. Dogs (according to authorities here) cannot digest corn, so it is basically a form of "fiber" for them that will irritate the intestinal tracts of dogs over time. Dogs can tolerate a lower protein diet than can cats, but both have digestive systems set up to digest animal protein.

Janine Coral and John Brunner like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I tried CBD oil for Cutie, hoping it might help with her arthritis and other aging issues, but, like when I tried it, it didn't seem to have any effect at all. Glucosamine helped with her arthritis, however, although it didn't do a thing for me when I tried it.

Janine Coral likes this.
  5. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Besides being carnivores, most pet dogs get cooked, freeze dried, processed food that usually has grains & other fillers to reduce cost. Such a diet lacks the proper complete nutrition that a wild dog's prey would provide. I spoke to several Veterinarians about this. Feeding our dogs & cats food they are designed to eat (whole animals) would be very inconvenient & messy.
    Rather intersting that people who keep pet reptiles know a snake can't survive on anything except whole prey animals & there are many companies that provide frozen rats, mice & rabbits as food animals. But most dog & cat owners wouldn't tolerate that.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I had sled dogs, they were fed mostly meat that may or may not have been fit for human consumption--people's freezer cleanings, moose that had been hit by cars and some of the meat was very bruised, and fish that were not suitable. Those dogs would eat the skin of the moose (fiber) and well as the bones and antlers if it had such. They did very well on that diet.

The DIL I spoke of uses raw cabbage and broccoli stems as a substitute for the fiber, but no other carbs or veggies of any kind. The cabbage serves the same purpose as the grass you sometimes see cats and dogs eat when their digestion is moving slowly.

7. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, that's exactly what the Vets said - a wild dog gets all needed nutrients from skin, bones, etc. & their food is not cooked like pet food.

Janine Coral and Don Alaska like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

So not knowing a lot about CBD Oil, I'm a little surprised that it's available for dogs. I thought that the THC in pot was bad (lethal?) for them.

Hedi Mitchell and Janine Coral like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Out of curiosity, I went to The American Kennel Club website and read a short article on this subject. They verified what I thought about THC, but said the worse that can happen with CBD is a case of diarrhea and a change in "some liver enzyme values" after several weeks of use.

The primary caution is to not give CBD Oil to your dog without your vet's knowledge, especially if your dog is taking other drugs. CBD inhibits a chemical in the body (cytochrome P450) that is responsible for metabolizing most drugs. If a drug’s efficacy depends on its metabolized product, CBD could render it less effective. If a drug’s safety depends on it being cleared from the body within a certain time frame, CBD could cause it to build up to toxic levels. (This type of risk is the main reason I decided against taking the CBD Oil I purchased for my own use.)

The article discusses the various conditions for which CBD Oil may be of benefit to dogs. The only specific dosing information was for arthritic pain: 4.4 mg per pound twice daily.

It would be interesting to hear more first-hand experiences using this for their dogs. But it seems that the use of CBD in pets has yet to be wide-spread.

Janine Coral and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am now much further educated on my topic, thanks everyone who posted.
    I read attentively ;)

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I only THC myself, luckily dog does not need, but would not give unless vet said okay.

Beth Gallagher likes this.