Hello Everyone, It's Nice To Be Here!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Maggie Rose, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Maggie Rose

Maggie Rose Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In an effort to get to know one another, a bit about myself.

• from the Midwest USA
    • avid gardener
    • graphic designer on a break
    • love my puppy (maltese), coffee; good books
    • enjoy drawing, oil painting & many other hobbies from time to time
    I browsed the forum for some time before joining and I think I'm going to like it here. I'm excited to meet new people and join in on the conversations. Thanks so much for having me. Have a beautiful new day!

Maggie Rose

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Maggie Rose and welcome. Hope you will stick around and get to know us. I'm from Houston, married, retired.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Maggie Rose likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, @Maggie Rose. Although I live in Maine now, and have lived in California, Texas, and North Carolina, I was born in Wisconsin, grew up in the UP of Michigan, and spent about a year in Iowa before leaving the Midwest.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Hey, Maggie.
    Welcome from central Virginia.

I was born in Indiana and lived there until I was 9. Then Virginia.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

welcome maggie rose

Maggie Rose likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah...c'mon in!

Hal
    129.JPG

Maggie Rose likes this.
  9. Maggie Rose

Registered

Good morning Beth & thank you. Believe it or not, just after becoming a member, I was doing some computer cleanup and changed browsers, lost my log in. So as a new member, I couldn't sign in at all. Just got it back, yay!! It's nice to meet you. I hope you have a beautiful day!

Ed Wilson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Maggie Rose

Registered

Wow
    Thanks Ken, You've enjoyed some great climate changes, I'm a lil jealous. Which place did you enjoy living the most? Other than about 1/2 to a year in Kentucky many years ago, I've lived in the Midwest my whole life. I have to admit that I often think of relocating to somewhere without the cold and snow of the winter months. You have a beautiful day!

11. Maggie Rose

Registered

Thank you and good morning. I think Virginia has a lot of beauty. I've traveled through there many times over the years. It's nice to meet you!

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Welcome, @Maggie Rose , and I am glad that you found your log-in info again, so that you could sign in ! I am from northern Idaho, and now live in Alabama, and I am glad not to have to shovel all of that snow each winter, and worry about slipping on the ice and not being able to get back up again.
    The summers and fall are usually beautiful, and the air is MUCH better up there in the north; but overall, Alabama is working out well for me.
    I love gardening, too, and we do have a lot longer growing season here and can grow some things that can’t grow up north. The other side of that, is that somethings will grow there and not here, like rhubarb. It was so prolific in Idaho, I would have thought it would grow anywhere, but apparently, it doesn’t like the heat of the south.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  13. Maggie Rose

Registered

Hi Yvonne, Idaho to Alabama is a huge change, wow! How long have you lived in Alabama? Yes, the snow has been a body killer for years now & my body is tired of it. Also, I don't need snow to make me lose my balance and fall. My most recent fall was about 3 weeks ago on dry pavement. I was heading outside for a walk with my pup and....I took a fall out my patio doors, right onto the concrete steps and the brick patio. Fortunately, for me, I didn't have the pup in hand yet. I don't think she would have been ok. My pup weighs 3 1/4 pounds, she's a lil one. Rhubarb brings back memories. Although I don't grow it my dad did when I was a child. My momma loved strawberry and rhubarb pie. As a kid, I can remember getting it straight from the garden. I'd give it a good rinse and grab salt. Yes, I would have thought it would grow anywhere too.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Whatever you do, don't lose your cookie to this forum. I was cleaning up old cookies on my old tower and accidentally did just that. You will never get back in. Anyway, welcome from PA.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Maggie Rose

Hello, and welcome! As I was a Midwesterner growing up, my Mother raised rhubarb, too. Our neighbor specialized in Kohl Rabi; I ate them raw like radishes, tasted similar, though much larger. Never have seen them in the stores, though, mainly turnips (similar) instead. I just learned Kohl Rabi is German, though we were predominantly a Czech and Polish neighborhood (Chicago area, waddaya expect?).

Frank

Maggie Rose likes this.