Hello From Canada!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jaspurr Miller, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Jaspurr Miller

Jaspurr Miller Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've never done much research on Buddhism, but I think I will. You've got me interested!

So, paganism and Wiccan aren't sinister at all. That's a misconception. They mainly focus on the forces and power of the natural world, much like aboriginal beliefs. To be honest, I think many of the "organized" religions and various cults have been, and are, more harmful to society. Don't get me started. LOL

John Houlihan likes this.
  2. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you look for Utubes about Buddhism, you may be overwhelmed by the number of links. Do you want a few suggestions on how to get started?

3. Jaspurr Miller

Registered

Thanks for the offer, John. I've got a lot on the go right now. I'll check into myself when I have the time.

John Houlihan likes this.
  4. John Houlihan

Registered

I think you misunderstood my reference to looking in dark places for the truth. Dark in the context of the Sufi story I mentioned does not mean sinister. The Sufis often teach a truth by telling a story without stating the moral of the story. They allow the reader to deduce it. The most popular Sufi stores are about a very wise buffoon named Mulla Nasruddin. The story I was referring to goes like this:

Mulla Nasruddin has lost his keys and so he goes into the marketplace at high noon to look for them. A friend asks Mulla what is he looking for. Mulla says, "I'm looking for my lost keys." The friend asks "Where did you last see them?" Mulla says, "Back at my house." The friend says, "Well, why are you looking out here?" The mulla answers, "Because there is more light out here."

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Welcome from North Florida.

Jaspurr Miller likes this.
  6. Jaspurr Miller

Registered

Thank you, Jake, from chilly Canada! :)

Jake Smith likes this.
  7. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Jaspurr,

Okay, I understand. If you do ever check out Buddhism and find it overwhelming, please let me know. I have a link to some excellent Utubes by a professor of philosophy and humanities if you are ever interested.

Stay well,
    John

8. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome. I've never been to to Canuckland. I'm from the Eastern Shore of Maryland close to the Chesapeake Bay. I'm pretty conservative but not pretty - just very handsome.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023