Help Me Learn To Tie Some Knots

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by John Brunner, Mar 30, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am working on a project and need someone to recommend types of knots to tie, and perhaps point me to a teaching website or video (because I know nothing about knot tying.)

I've built some firewood racks and I've fashioned 16' x 6' sections of tarp as the cover/roof (I cut a 16'x12' tarp in half, taped the edges, and installed grommets.) I need to lash them down so that they do not blow off, and I want them taut so that rain does not pool on them. I do not want to tie ropes straight down because that would block access to the wood. I want the roof to be as a permanent part of the rack.

Firewood Roof All.jpg
    You can see how the edges of the tarp drape over the outside of the roof frame. I want to tie the left tarp edge and the right tarp edge together straight across underneath the roof frame, grommet-to-grommet.

Here's what the frame looks like without the tarp:

FIrewood rack roof frame.jpg

There are 12 grommets on each side. I want to tie a rope straight across connecting each Left/Right pair of grommets (so there will be 12 ropes going across), and I want to pull the tarp taut. I considered using bungees cords going straight across, but that's going to be too expensive...I have (3) 16' racks I'm putting an identical roof on. That would be (36) 3' outdoor-quality bungee cords. $$$$$. And I might not be able to adjust the tension tight enough.

Essentially I want to know how to tie 2 types of knots, unless you have better recommendations:

#1: I want to tie a quick release knot on one side so I can take the thing off if I need to.
    #2: I want to tie a knot on the opposite side that will pull the rope shorter (tighter) as I pull on the end so I can stretch the tarp as tight as possible.

Whatever I use, I have to be able to do the entire thing standing outside and reaching inside to pull things tight. There's not enough room in between the racks of wood for me to squeeze in between.

(Another solution would be to install more wood along the sides so I could run screws through the grommet holes to tack the thing down, but I want the little bit of give & take from side-to-side that rope will provide so it gives a bit with the wind.)

Thanks!

Kate Ellery likes this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner I have a apple iPad / phone and I have a app on my iPad for tying knots
    It may well be available in other systems as well ..hubby used to have an old android tablet and he had it that tablet
    ...it’s animated so it shows you how to tie them . As far as I know it’s free
    I don’t remember ever paying for it ,it’s actually interesting there are so many ways to tie a knot:):)

This is the one I have
    https://knots3d.com/

0F3672D6-572C-4D03-B973-705FAA986817.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

So far as a quick release knot with the ability to tighten and loosen at will, I use a trucker’s knot or hitch as it’s called in the video. It’s easy and believe me, it’s like using a pulley and will tighten up so tight you could play Yankee Doodle on the rope afterward. In this case, the guy is using paracord which is fairly cheap by the spool on Amazon and it’s strong stuff.

4. John Brunner

Thank you.

For all the stuff I've done in my life, I can't believe I've lived this long and not learned how to tie some basic knots.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Buy a spool of paracord, turn on YouTube and take a couple of macrame’ classes and you’ll be making all Kinds of knots starting in just minutes.

So far as the trucker’s hitch goes, I learned that one when some stuff I was hauling in a pick-up was nearly dumped on the road. I pulled over and fumbled with the ropes and was trying to get them tight when a cop stopped behind me and that’s who taught me the trucker’s knot. I’ve probably taught a couple of dozen people how to make and use it since then because frankly, I’ve have probably used it a few hundred times since that policeman showed me.
    Ya just have to be careful. On some things you can get the rope so tight it might damage what you’re trying to hold down or even snap the rope itself. It’s just that efficient.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother taught me how to tie a trucker's hitch. :D I didn't know it had a name.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Shirt for the knot-impaired.

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Uh, I think that's for the knot-able.

Isn't it?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. John Brunner

I've done needlepoint, but always just bought my rope plant hangers.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I was just watching some "learn to knit" videos on youtube, so I've got my Amazon cart loaded up with stuff that I should probably just have delivered to Goodwill since it will all end up there eventually.

I was a macrame-ing fool back in the day. (Now I'm just an old fool.)

12. John Brunner

I used to do TONS of needlepoint. I got to the point where I would buy the large mesh plastic squares and circles, get some knitting yarn, and crank out Christmas ornaments freehand as I watched television.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've done small piece needlepoint, too, but not in a long time. I have wanted to learn to knit so I guess I'll give it a go.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. John Brunner

I've done some of the complex, teeny tiny mesh pieces. I used to be pretty adept at it. Like everything, I really got into it...bought a needlepoint book and learned stitches that were not in the specific piece's instructions, just to try to improve on it.

Me & Rosey Grier, baby.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.