Hit Songs, Written By The Singer

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jake Smith, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Robert Clark Seger (born May 6, 1945) is a retired American singer, songwriter, and musician.

With a career spanning six decades, Seger has sold more than 75 million records worldwide, making him one of the world's best-selling artists of all time.

He was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 2004. In 1974, Seger formed the Silver Bullet Band.

[​IMG]

2. Jake Smith

Registered

Sir Barry Alan Crompton Gibb (born 1 September 1946) is a British musician, singer, songwriter and record producer.

As a songwriter, Gibb has had No. 1 songs in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

Well known for his wide vocal range, Gibb's most notable trait is a far-reaching high-pitched falsetto. Gibb's career has spanned over 60 years.

Ken Anderson and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Jake Smith

Registered

Brian Douglas Wilson (born June 20, 1942) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer who co-founded The Beach Boys.

With extraordinary musical aptitude and mastery of recording techniques, he is widely acknowledged as one of the most innovative and significant songwriters of the 20th century.

In 1961, he began his career as a member of the Beach Boys, serving as the band's songwriter, producer, co-lead vocalist, bassist, and keyboardist.

[​IMG]

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

5. Jake Smith

Registered

Tribute song, written and performed by, Clitus T. Judd, for Toby Keith.

"Gonna Miss You Old Friend".

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Great voice, good man, Bobby wrote all his songs, this one in 1978, Everyone thought he was black till they saw him perform.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    Jake Smith likes this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

Kristoffer Kristofferson (born June 22, 1936) is an American retired country singer and songwriter.

In 1971 Janis Joplin who had dated Kristofferson, had a number-one hit with "Me and Bobby McGee" from her posthumous album, he wrote.

Pearl. It stayed on the number-one spot on the charts for weeks. More hits followed from others: Ray Price ("I'd Rather Be Sorry"); Joe Simon ("Help Me Make It Through the Night"); Bobby Bare ("Please Don't Tell Me How the Story Ends"); O.C. Smith ("Help Me Make It Through the Night"); Jerry Lee Lewis ("Me and Bobby McGee"); Pattie Page ("I'd Rather Be Sorry"); and Peggy Little ("I've Got to Have You"). Country music performer Kenny Rogers recorded some of Kristofferson's songs in 1969.

The Songwriters Hall Of Fame inducted Kristofferson in 1985.
    It has been estimated that Kristofferson's songs have been recorded by more than 450 artists.

9. Jake Smith

Registered

Crystal Gayle (born Brenda Gail Webb; January 9, 1951) country music singer-songwriter, and sister of Loretta Lynn.

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Jake Smith

Registered

George Harrison - (25 February 1943 – 29 November 2001) was an English musician, singer, and songwriter, who achieved international fame as the lead guitarist of the Beatles.

upload_2024-4-18_20-2-13.png

Harrison wrote one of the Beatles' earliest openly political songs in 1966's "Taxman" and one of their prettiest late-period tunes in "Here Comes the Sun." But his songwriting legacy was sealed for good when Frank Sinatra declared "Something," the group's second-most-covered song after "Yesterday," to be "the greatest love song of the past 50 years." Harrison described songwriting as a means to "get rid of some subconscious burden," comparing the process to "going to confession." After the Beatles split, he let his creative impulses run free on the 1970 triple-album solo debut, All Things Must Pass, and enjoyed a strong Eighties comeback with the pop success of 1987's Cloud Nine as well as his stint with the Traveling Wilburys. "If George had had his group and was writing his songs back then, he'd have been probably just as big as anybody," his fellow Wilbury Bob Dylan said.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a song written by George Harrison, first recorded by the Beatles in 1968 for their eponymous double album.

11. Jake Smith

Registered

Eric Patrick Clapton (born 30 March 1945) is an English rock and blues guitarist, singer, and songwriter. He is regarded as one of the most successful and influential guitarists in rock music

Clapton is the only three-time inductee to the Rock and Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame: once as a solo artist, and separately as a member of the Yardbirds and Cream. He ranked second in Rolling Stones magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and fourth in Gibson's Top 50 Guitarists of All Time.

He's an incredibly private man and despite his immense success, he's never cared if he got any publicity at all, he just loves his music... I think it might be something to do with his age, as he turned 70 a couple of years ago. He said to me, "I didn't want it to be done after I was dead and for it to be wrong." Maybe he thought his time had come to lay it all out on the table.

Clapton's music has appeared in dozens of movies and television shows as far back as 1973.

12. Jake Smith

Registered

Stephanie Lynn Nicks (born May 26, 1948) is an American singer-songwriter known for her work with the band Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist.

She has won numerous awards with Fleetwood Mac, including a Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1978 for Rumours.

Nicks wrote and recorded demos for a solo project during Tusk sessions in 1979 and the Tusk world tour of 1979–80.

[​IMG]

Nicks sings about the store where her iconic style all started in the song "Gypsy" on Fleetwood Mac's 13th studio album Mirage, released in 1982. In the song, Nicks sings of a store called the Velvet Underground, a boutique in San Francisco, California, where famous rockers like Janis Joplin and Grace Slick were known to shop

13. Jake Smith

Registered

John Cameron Fogerty (born May 28, 1945) is an American singer, songwriter and guitarist.

[​IMG]

Fogerty was inducted into the Song Writers Hall of Fame in 2005.

"In 1968 I always used to say that I wanted to make records they would still play on the radio in ten years," Creedence Clearwater Revival architect John Fogerty told Rolling Stone in 1993. Try 50 years. CCR was the catchy, hard-driving dance band amidst the psychedelic San Francisco ballroom scene of the late Sixties, scoring 12 Top 40 hits during their run while releasing an incredible five albums between 1968 and 1970. Fogerty's songwriting process reflected the blue-collar worldview who wrote his first Top 10 hit (1969's "Proud Mary") just two days after being discharged from the Army Reserves: "Just sitting very late at night," he said. "It was quiet, the lights were low. There was no extra stimulus, no alcohol or drugs or anything. It was purely mental. . .I had discovered what all writers discover, whether they're told or not, that you could do anything." Fogerty later admitted to envying the critical adulation received by Bob Dylan and the Band, but he tapped the tenor of his times as well as anyone, whether on the class-conscious Vietnam protest anthem "Fortunate Son" or "Bad Moon Rising," which channeled America's sense of impending apocalyptic into two-and-a-half choogling minutes.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

It Never Rains in Southern California
    Written (along with Mike Hazlewood) and sung by Albert Hammond, 1972.

Jake Smith likes this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

“End of the Line”
    Written by Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne

Released in 1988 on the band’s first album, Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1, this song concluded the LP as its final track. On it, Petty sings the verses, with other project members singing the choruses. With Harrison leading the way on the song's writing, all band members garnered writing credit for the tune, which hit No. 63 on the Billboard Hot 100. On the bright rock offering, Petty sings:

Jenna Parnellson likes this.