Home Grown / Dried Fruit

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kate Ellery, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Here is the first lot of Apricots to get prepared / put out to dry for this year.

We processed them yesterday afternoon ( I use a soak method) put them out to start drying this morning
    it’s fairly hot here so they will take about 4 days to dry , we store them in the freezer when dry.
    The drying rack is an old screen door Hubby made legs for to make them like a table

B4685F36-2251-4FD3-A3BE-086E89147508.jpeg

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember Mama drying apples but I can't remember how she did it. Then in the winter, she would make apple dumplings with them. I don't remember how she did that, either. :)

3. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve just cut up 8 apples with one of those gadgets that take the core out and skin Apple at same time I’ve just dropped them in the water with the next lot of apricots ..they dry well .
    Towards the end of the fruit season I’ll make almost a bucket of fruit salad ( to Dry ) by chucking bananas / apples / nectarines/ peaches what ever soft fruit I have and put it out to dry like the apricots

Shirley Martin likes this.
  4. Kate Ellery

Registered

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Dried apricots are my favorite! When I was doing remote ranch work, I carried homemade beef jerky, dried apricots, dried pineapple for dessert, and lots of water. It was great for all-day cattle drives where there was no time to stop for lunch and sandwiches would spoil. I always had an apricot softening in my mouth. Once a cowboy asked me for a piece of my chew and he was shocked when I pulled out a dried apricot half. He refused when he saw the apricot half and I pointed out to him that he never saw me split so he should have known it wasn't tobacco.

Later that evening he got his jollies calling me a hippie. It didn't bother me a bit. :)

Kate Ellery and Alan Sidlo like this.