Home Remedies

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bess Barber, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother dosed us for croup and other bronchial ailments with a locally-made patent medicine called "WOW" or "Wonder of the World". I don't know if the world "wondered" about it but it sure worked! It could cut through croup like a laser....heck, it could probably cut through granite.

The active ingredients were camphor, eucalyptus and oil of cajupet. It had the worst taste in the world and it took the rest of the day to get rid of that taste, because you burped it for hours. I will remember that taste to my dying day.

Mom administered it in the proverbial "spoonful of sugar" which, contrary to the MARY POPPINS song, definitely DID NOT make the medicine go down. It wasn't optional, though; if Mom was coming at you with a spoon, you WERE going to take your medicine.

Ugh, I can taste it right now......

2. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Mother's remedies raised 3 kids and I still use MOST of them today. Keep a 6 oz jar of Vicks on hand for years. Use it on my feet every night. Getting ready to buy a new jar.

My go to for MOST of my healing is good old home remedies and alternative supplements....pharma drugs LAST. I take a couple and don't fight them anymore.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have relied on home remedies before. I have chroinc dry mouth,and have treid every store bought thing I can think of,and nothing works. Until today, Apple cider vinegar. Really does help me alot. I have been using it on hubbys feet, It removed a huge hard calacus from his foot. It amazing the things that do work still. Do any of you u se ACV for anything? I know you can drink it,but not sure my sustem can handle that.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I just use it in salad dressings and stuff. I think people who drink it mix a couple of tablespoons in a glass of water since the full-strength vinegar can damage tooth enamel after a while.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A fairly common one, I think, is tea with honey whenever I feel a sore throat coming on. That, plus a crapload of Vitamin C in the guise of oranges, usually keeps the sore throat from progressing.

6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I have used ACV very often over many years. There are books written about it and you can find links online that are: ACV Benefits.

I don't use it much these days, and it can affect tooth enamel if not careful with it.

iherb offers Dry Mouth supplements and here is a link on them. I shop iherb mostly.

https://www.iherb.com/search?kw=Supplements for Dry Mouth

Come to think of it, I dealt with dry mouth and since using Coconut Oil Toothpaste no longer have the issue...love the CO toothpaste, used to make my own but find it easier to buy Now Foods and add some baking soda and clove oil to the jar I m ake up, here is the one I buy and do my little doctoring
    ob on.:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-...paste-gel-coconut-oil-mint-6-4-oz-181-g/78246

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022