Home Remedy For The Common Cold

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

After 6 days, I'm still with this bad cold although not that bad anymore since I had already started working yesterday. After taking paracetamol for days, it seems like it has no effect on me so I resorted to home remedy. The vaporub is a common ointment here which exudes heat to the muscles. After applying the vaporub on my back and chest, I covered myself with a blanket while watching tv... and eventually I fell asleep on the sofa. My husband woke me up because I was perspiring heavily. After changing clothes, the sweat came again after some minutes so I had to change again. Perhaps that home remedy had somehow helped in alleviating the bad effect of the common cold on me.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe so :)
    I dose meself up when I have a cold with supplements
    Then I figured I should take them 'before' a cold and that way, hopefully, escape it
    So far - so good :)

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the first lines of defense that our body has to kill off bad germs is to raise the body temperature up a bit so that the germs die off. While having a very high temperature is certainly dangerous, just having a fever is usually a good thing, and not a bad thing. Unfortunately, some people do not realize the amazing healing power of the body raising its temperature, and they run for an aspirin, or aspirin substitute like Tylenol , to try and stop the fever.
    When we stop the fever, then the body has to work longer and harder to kill off the invaders and stop the infection. The fact that you woke up in a sweat, @Corie Henson , means that you likely had a slight fever, so that is probably why you are feeling so much better already.
    One of my prevention techniques is to immerse myself in the hot tub for about 5-10 minutes each day that we go to the fitness center. This raises my body temperature up high enough to kill off any stray germs that might have invaded my body, before they can multiply and start an infection in my body. Then, I immediately get into the cool swimming pool, which cools my body temperature down, and that can also kill germs; since they can only live in a small temperature range.

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't get one often, but sounds like you were having a fever break Corie, which of course is good. I am all about home-remedies. One that is amazing with sinus congestion is Apple Cider Vinegar (tbsp to like half a glass of water). Lots of water by the way too. I learned to irrigate my sinus and that is so helpful if I am stuffed up. I just used real sea salt, mine comes from the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, not way expensive and lasts a long time.

Sounds like you are really on the mend though, I hope so. Colds are so miserable. Here's some "get well" flowers although I bet you have plenty where you live;)

flowers get well.jpg

5. Corie Henson

Registered

Gee, I didn't know that fever kills the germs. So maybe if we have a fever, let the fever do its thing before we try to suppress it. Last night, it was my husband's turn for the worse with the bad cold and it took us more than 1 hour to pacify the fever. I was thinking if the fever wouldn't go away then we might bring him to the hospital. We used the face towel drenched in iced water and later we wrapped the ice with the face towel to wipe his face and whole body. Fortunately, the fever left when he began sweating that needed 4 changes of clothes.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I definitely can relate @Corie Henson. I have been feeling awful as well. The worse for me is watery eyes and I don't think there is a home remedy for that so I do take OTC medicine. I'm all for home remedies and I've learned that sweating it out has worked for me. I keep a jar of vapor rub on hand to help me breath at night along with a box of tissues. Many times sleep just calls to me and I stop whatever I'm doing and let my body rest.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

An interesting story is about hyperthermia (elevated temperature) and malaria and cancer. Outside of Rome was a large swamp which was full of mosquitoes, and the people in that area always got malaria, which is carried by the mosquitoes.
    Eventually, the swamp was drained, and the mosquitoes were gone, along with the malaria. However, they then noticed that people began having cancer, where before, the area had hardly any cancer.
    Nowadays, we know that some cancer is caused by a virus, which the malaria fevers would kill off the virus, but also there is the fact that cancer cells were being killed off by the persistant fevers of the malaria.
    Here is an excellent article about curing illness with hyperthermia and fevers.

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/therapeuticbaths.htm

Corie Henson likes this.
  8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Seeing colds are a virus and will be handled by the body in time. These are a few things that I do first sign or when other people around me have a cold I start taking my colloidal silver every day. Also will clean my ears with hydrogen peroxide as they claim some virus enter that way especially the colds that start with a sore throat. It I start sneezing I will cleans my noise inside with salt water using a netipot to wash out the sinus. If the cold does start I still keep doing the same and adding some different herbs, oils this only decreases the symptoms but does not cure only my body can do that. Sometimes make a hot toddy with lemon and honey and sneak in a little rum.

My father humour was if you get a cold take a cold shower and stand in a draft because doctors cannot cure a cold but they can cure pneumonia .

9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I am wondering if I will ever have a cold again. Not that I want one! I would be just fine not having a cold again ever in my life. I think people seem to recommend zinc to shorter the duration of a cold or perhaps taking some zinc when you first start getting sick, so as not to get the full impact of the virus. I am not sure how the whole taking vitamin C is one of the ways to prevent a cold, if that is still in vogue or not, but vitamin C is something I think I get plenty of so..anyway...guess I am covered.:)

10. Corie Henson

Registered

Just an update. My cold is still that bad and it's almost 2 weeks now. I don't have fever anymore but my cough is still dry that I am catching my breath when I cough incessantly. Not to mention that the cough syrup has no effect. My taste buds are not working well. There's always the bitter taste in my mouth. All the 4 people in the house are contaminated. My husband is very sick and in bed for 3 days while our 2 housemaids are complaining of coughing. Maybe I have to see a doctor for this may not be just a common cold.