Horses, Mules, Donkeys, Trail Riding, And Stuff Like That

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Faye Fox, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Th 21's ' I have is for either on foot in a pen or rodeo events. for pasture mine are 35-37' nylon One time I got invited with my mare to have to an "Old time branding" where calves are roped and drug to the fire to be worked, I have done a few of those then women not working would bring a shade tree great lunch around noon to the hands working, usually steak and taters, gosh I miss that in my life..

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

They still do the old-time rope and drag on a lot of Eastern Oregon ranchers. I haven't attended any for 20 years due to health and do miss such gatherings. Although it was hard dirty work, I loved it and especially the community potlucks that followed the last branding of the season and after everyone was cleaned up. The food at the brandings was always good and usually roast beef sandwiches and potato salad and eaten rather quickly since sometimes two ranches were worked in the same day. Rodeo never even came close to replacing such activities for me.

4. Tex Dennis

Registered

After I injured my knee I stopped contest roping and just did it to work stock BUT I did get to really like team penning and non contest cutting at church I attend a Cowboy Church that is real big in Team Penning, Heading and Heeling and shooting groups. some different from most but right for me, we have a close to 3 year wait list to join our shooting groups as a limit there with all out restrictions and rules on it also hunting groups and contests, trail rides and a monthly in good weather service on horseback usually followed by penning. Lots of Dutch Over cookouts also. Well behaved dogs welcome at services also any issue and you step outside there.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Like this thread! I was kind of proud that the folks I leased my last horse to, tried working cows with him recently. He liked to herd them in the pasture but looked less thrilled under saddle.:rolleyes: He's a black overo and looks cool in western tack.
    Maybe I will get a horse I can just put a quarter in to ride, now that I only have one good leg.;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks to an online used clothing store, Poshmark,
    I was able to buy 3 pairs of vintage Lawman jeans. Two
    with back pockets and one bareback or without pockets.
    The inseams are a bit long for my short legs, but no biggie.
    Lawman made the toughest high-rise riding jeans ever. They
    lost popularity when stretch jeans became popular, but nothing
    will ever replace the heavy denim in a relaxed thigh even in the slim fit.
    Back in the day when working ranch woman jeans were 100% heavy cotton
    denim, the high waist (rise) at 12" was necessary with relaxed hips and thigh for mobility.
    Many of us ranch gals called the old mid and low rise tight-fitting Wranglers of the day, Stranglers.

Photo of me 07/06/2021

FF PR RS.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Shirley Martin and Mary Robi like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Registered

Wow! You are hot!
    I have worn denim jeans for about 50 years. I remember a neighbor saying he didn't even know I had legs till I was going out to dinner one evening. But, I have a midriff bulge. My plan is to develop the multi busted physique of Jabba the Hut's lounge dancer. I don't have flabby arms but I don't have the strength to swing my old leather saddle onto any sized horse. I really should lift weights. I don't swim as it involves getting wet.
    But I have plenty of ballast and stomach muscles to drag things.;)

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks but the only thing hot in that photo was the air temperature at 100 hahaha! I still work out every morning just to stay alive. It is do or die so I do and try to be happy about it. I have to keep my abs super strong because my back is worn out. I walk 3 miles a day. I don't do weights or machines and can no longer swim due to balance.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Tex Dennis

Registered

Faye do you remember Roebucks from Sears and Tuff Nutt jeans save the tags and get a pocket knife from them, just send it in it took several.

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I grew up wearing Sears generic girls' jeans in the 1950s and early 60s. I don't remember about the tags and free knife. What year was that? Maybe it was just for boys.

11. Tex Dennis

Registered

There was a company called Tuff Nutt in the 60's I think that offered the knives with the mailing in of the tear off labels of jeans, Sears offered free jeans with a certain amount of the Roebucks labels also The Roebuck label kind of looked like a dollar bill and had a 1 on it. Mother wanted the Roebuck coupon we all wanted the Tuff Nutt knives they also made overalls. Most local boys all had the TN knives. I just read yesterday that the Scouts can not carry the scout knives anymore yet they sell them, I have no use in life for those who caused things like this, also no more rifle and shotgun shooting as scout marksmanship programs.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

I remember that you could order a palomino pony from the Sears catalogue, late 50's. I also bought a lot of tobacco from a company that required a label to enter a drawing for a racehorse when I was 8.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Think Faye is "hot looking" in her Lawman jeans, you should see my wife in her Wrangler jeans and wearing a Resistol Straw hat. My wife is 73, wears either Ariat Lace-Up Roper boots or Ariat Hiking boots and, either her Centennial Livestock Auction baseball cap or her Resistol Cowboy hat.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well gee, maybe you best post a photo of your wife in Wranglers, and while you are at it, one of the elusive Red Roan. I know many here are "gnawing at the bit" to see the Red Roan.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Hot is in the eye of the beholder. @Cody Fousnaugh is obviously passionately in love with his wife. Another man might not think she is hot at all. Cody , show us her picture and let us see if she is hot.

Faye Fox likes this.