Horses, Trail Riding, Rodeos, And Stuff Like That

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Faye Fox, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

You sure you're talking about Martha Josey? In Wikipedia, Josey is originally from the Kilgore/Marshall, Texas area.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Kilgore is only about ten miles from Longview. I have cousins in Longview, so am familiar with that area, somewhat.

3. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh yes both towns were very close by each other, she if I remember correctly had a barrel racing school there, positively the same person for sure. If I also remember her place was on the left after you went under the Interstate heading to Kilgore and had the racing school sign out front she was not actually in Kilgore about half way in between .. Real close to them was Billy Leach who made calf ropes of hemp I still have 2 of them 21' ropes I think. Hand made.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Tex Dennis

Registered

TO FAY and others interested here
    https://www.kilgorenewsherald.com/a...cle_debbf6ad-698c-586b-a30c-c287d75a4b18.html
    READ THIS:

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

6. Tex Dennis

Registered

Th 21's ' I have is for either on foot in a pen or rodeo events. for pasture mine are 35-37' nylon One time I got invited with my mare to have to an "Old time branding" where calves are roped and drug to the fire to be worked, I have done a few of those then women not working would bring a shade tree great lunch around noon to the hands working, usually steak and taters, gosh I miss that in my life..

Faye Fox likes this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They still do the old-time rope and drag on a lot of Eastern Oregon ranchers. I haven't attended any for 20 years due to health and do miss such gatherings. Although it was hard dirty work, I loved it and especially the community potlucks that followed the last branding of the season and after everyone was cleaned up. The food at the brandings was always good and usually roast beef sandwiches and potato salad and eaten rather quickly since sometimes two ranches were worked in the same day. Rodeo never even came close to replacing such activities for me.

8. Tex Dennis

Registered

After I injured my knee I stopped contest roping and just did it to work stock BUT I did get to really like team penning and non contest cutting at church I attend a Cowboy Church that is real big in Team Penning, Heading and Heeling and shooting groups. some different from most but right for me, we have a close to 3 year wait list to join our shooting groups as a limit there with all out restrictions and rules on it also hunting groups and contests, trail rides and a monthly in good weather service on horseback usually followed by penning. Lots of Dutch Over cookouts also. Well behaved dogs welcome at services also any issue and you step outside there.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Active Member
    Registered

Like this thread! I was kind of proud that the folks I leased my last horse to, tried working cows with him recently. He liked to herd them in the pasture but looked less thrilled under saddle.:rolleyes: He's a black overo and looks cool in western tack.
    Maybe I will get a horse I can just put a quarter in to ride, now that I only have one good leg.;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Will be attending the Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame Induction in July in Colorado Springs. The evening after the Induction, will be attending the Pikes Peak Or Bust Rodeo in Colorado Springs. Got our tickets for the rodeo this AM. We got very good seats.

Two weeks later, we head for Dodge City, Kansas for their rodeo. Just like the Hall of Fame Induction, have hotel room and rental car already reserved for Dodge City. I'm a major fan of the old tv show, Gunsmoke, and Dodge City has replicas of the show set.

We are watching the PRCA World Standings very closely, because we have some favorite cowboys and cowgirls that we like to see get to the National Finals in December. Have our airline tickets, rental car and hotel reservations already made to go to Vegas for that.
    We see some of these "favorites" when we watch "live" rodeo performances on The Cowboy Channel.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

WOW ! What an awesome way to spend the summer, @Cody Fousnaugh , and it is great that you have already planned everything out and made your reservations way ahead of time.
    Be sure to take some pictures so you can share the rodeos and Hall of Fame inductions with us.
    The closest that I have ever come to watching any kind of well-known rodeo riders was back in the mid-1950’s , when we went to the Spokane Rodeo, which attracted some of the top bronc riders of that era.

The only ones that I actually remember seeing ride at the rodeo were Deb Copenhaver (from eastern Washington, so he was kind of a local for the rodeo in Spokane) and Casey Tibbs.
    Deb Copenhaver later opened a restaurant in (or near) his hometown of Wilbur , Washington; and I have eaten there on trips across the state.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sort of funny, but a lot of the old rough-stock and timed-event people we use to know some 13 years ago, are now retired and their sons and daughters are now competing.

During the 11 1/2 years we were gone from Colorado, we only attended two PRCA rodeos. Just thinking about that was one of the major reasons we returned to Colorado.