Horses, Mules, Donkeys, Trail Riding, And Stuff Like That

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Faye Fox, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Remember, there are those, on this forum and other areas of the internet, that don't feel comfortable, or want to, post a picture of themselves or even their former horse.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Faye, we have heard Colorado Springs called "the Springs" many times, since we've been back here and when we lived here before. Perhaps there have been some changes, including the calling of Colorado Springs "the Springs", since you lived here.

One thing we do know, a lot of people, not the "rodeo" type, that live in Colorado Springs, look like they just moved to CS from L.A. or NYC. Lots of tattoos and body piercings. Didn't see any of that on the rodeo folks we talked to at the Induction. Then again, when we moved from Colorado in Oct. 2007, we seen a heck of a lot of California license plates around. Looked like the "Invasion of California" was happening.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

How interesting! I was born in a Colorado Springs hospital and taken home to Manitou Springs, and lived in Colorado for 20 years, and never once heard Colorado Springs called The Springs. The springs in Colorado Springs' name are in reference to the mineral springs at Manitou Springs. I checked on the internet and the ONLY reference to "The Springs" was a fairly recent article by former Californians that states that locals call it The Springs and that anyone that says otherwise is a tourist or a newbie. Sounds like someone trying to make themselves be accepted as long-time locals by starting some nonsense thinking they are calling out others as tourist or newbies..

I just watched two videos, one 22 minutes long and the other 17 minutes long made by lifelong Colorado Springs residents and they said, Colorado Springs multiple times and NEVER once said The Springs.

According to my cousins that still live in Colorado Springs, if one is going down to Manitou Springs, they might say, "We are going down to the springs today meaning the mineral pools in Manitou. If they are asked where they live they say with pride, Colorado Springs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I am sure a lot of things have changed and not for the good. I left because of the California invasion, liberal politics taking over, and mountain ranch land being bought up and divided into small acreages. I am sure in places where young folks rule, that one might hear such language laziness, but never from older lifelong residents.

Since Colorado has several towns with springs in the name, how is one to know what town they are talking about? Manitou, Steamboat, Pagosa, Colorado, El Dorado, Glenwood, Hot Sulphur, Idaho, Olney, and Poncha?

So a person in Durango tells his friends are they going to The Springs, is he talking about Pagosa? That is what an old-timer might assume. What about one in Denver that is going to The Springs? Are they going to Steamboat or Colorado?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Faye, as we drove down to CO Springs, from Castlerock, we seen a lot of open land, but very little in the way of farms and livestock (horses/cattle). Then again, unlike northern Colorado, CO Springs is much more of a tourist and military (AFA) area than anything else. Again, sort of like up here in the north, people have to go out on the eastern plains for full-size ranches and farms. And, of course, the more a person drives north on the I-25, beyond Ft. Collins, the more open areas and cattle will be seen.

Heck, right south of us, less than 5 miles, there are Black Angus grazing across from a King Scoopers Shopping Center. And, close to the lake where we launch our boat, an old farmer has a couple of large hay fields. We seen him one time as he was bailing hay with an old New Holland Bailer. Pretty impressive! And, just west of us, we can drive by a few Angus cattle grazing and numerous horses grazing as well. Loveland is all "big city" than many of the Millennials and younger Generation X living here, would like it to be.

East Ft. Collins, by the I-25, still has the Centennial Livestock Auction every week. We've been to it a number of times to watch during Heifer and Bull Sale Day.

But, there are those folks, that live in/around Denver, that would love to see the National Western Stock Show & Rodeo moved out to the eastern plains. But, the ones that love going to it will say, "will never happen!" And, there are folks in CO Springs that wouldn't mind seeing PRCA Headquarters, the Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame and the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo moved out to the eastern plains. That hasn't, and won't, happen either.

So, no matter how many young people like looking like people from L.A. or NYC, to a certain point, the "cowboy/rodeo/cattle" industry still remains here. Thank God!!

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh It is becoming that way everywhere but Eastern Oregon still has many that dress with cowboy hats, boots, jeans, and western shirts. You can't go anywhere for any length of time without seeing several dressed as you like. They may not be wearing Wranglers as Lee Riders are popular and long last and less expensive. We have many vaqueroes that always wear traditional cowboy slip-on high heel boots, cowboy-shaped hats, jeans with belts and big buckles, and western shirts as everyday wear.

A visit you would enjoy would be to the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center and Museum and just visiting the small towns and driving the back roads of Eastern Oregon. Fall is a great time and I could recommend several roads where you will get caught in a cattle drive. Nothing like seeing ranchers of all ages out moving their cattle down the highway. Last fall I was in one where the oldest cowpoke driving up the rear was 77 and she and her great-granddaughter age 7 had the rear under such control the other women rode back and all the guys ran the front and blocked side roads and drives. There was 85 head in the herd and it was most impressive. It made me wish I could still ride safely.

National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center | Bureau of Land Management (blm.gov)

This video is well worth watching in its entirety if you enjoy the real cowboy stuff.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I had my ponies in a parade through town, once, and they were worried about my pooper scooper preps. I would hate to have to look after the chore after the drive through town.;)

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So what were your pooper scooper preps?

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

A manure fork a bucket and a shovel. Not quite enough. But some brought NO preps.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

My older brother was in the Army Band. He did lots of parade events, including tons of funerals at Arlington Cemetery.

Gotta love the GI inspection of those glossy Floresheims before they set out, compared to what their end-of-day state is.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My cousin's rock footed horses at the water
    trough after a roundup due to drought.
    AZ cuzs.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. John Brunner

"Footed horses"?

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

"Rock footed" is a term used in desert mountain country like Arizona. Horses that are bred and trained for the rugged terrain. Terrain that might cause injury to a horse used to trail ride. Sort of like saying a mountain goat is "sure-footed." Great question John and something I forget isn't a term that many are familiar.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Faye, there you go. Later, I'll post a picture of me on my old Red Roan, "Red", that was my "heading" horse.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you, Cody. Looking forward to the horse photos. Photos say a lot that words can't.

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.