Horses, Mules, Donkeys, Trail Riding, And Stuff Like That

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Faye Fox, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Just trying this to see if the picture will transfer. This is my last horse (in theory). I have leased him to a family north of here. I figure if I get him back, he will be broke to death (VERY well trained)and old, like me. I will be able to just put a quarter in him and go. He was always a nice boy that my daughter with autism trained herself. They shared a language and I was proud of both of them. I bought him for his color, as a yearling, which I tell everyone not to do. But I wanted Cisco Kid's horse!
    My friend emailed the picture today.

D381AD86-CA3D-4C82-BEB0-846A64C2D4CC.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Your horse is absolutely GORGEOUS , @Mary Stetler ! ! I always thought that Diablo was the most beautiful pinto, too, and at one time I also had a black/white pinto, which was a wonderful horse.
    I remember listening to the Cisco Kid (and Pancho) on the radio when I was little, and later they had the comic books which actually had the pictures of Cisco and Diablo.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful picture with us !

Faye Fox and Mary Stetler like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Registered

Wellllll, his butt is tasty lookin'
    Thanks for helping with the pic, Yvonne.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Registered

PS I used to watch Cisco Kid on tv and I have a collection of it on a DVD Set. I could lend it to you sometime;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Mary Stetler I am still holding on to the dream of buying a small place next to a large cattle ranch and having an old gentle mare trained with a bitless bridle that I could ride bareback and mosey among the grazing cattle without having all the other ranch responsibilities. :D

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Horses? I rode on a horse once at a place that gave trail rides. They said not to worry and that the horses had been through the trail many times so off we went. It seems that my horse liked to stop along the way to nibble on whatever looked appealing and I could not do a thing about it but wait until it was done. Reigns? I held them but then what? Clearly I was an eastern tenderfoot and still am to this day. So how do you steer the damn things and get them to go? I got nothing from western movies.

7. Mary Stetler

Registered

I'll send you a quarter!

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

It is a little like dancing with weight placement being the most important thing. Centered, your arm weighs 8 pounds. You move it left, horse goes left with the weight. Squeeze with a heel and it raises that side's seatbone, putting weight to the opposite side. Turn your belly button where you want to go. But if you don't have the posture to center yourself or if you have nerves tightening when they shouldn't, your weight tells the horse the wrong thing and horses are a bit like a computer--they do what they are programmed via your input. that is why we cuss at computers and horses even if it is our fault . Fortunately, you presented yourself as a tenderfoot and your horse ignored your signals and just took care of both of you.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

How many hands? I need a sure-footed long-legged mare that can carry me safely thru the growing SOC arena bull poo. I fear it may build way over the knee-high shafts on my ranch rattlesnake safe, cowgirl heeled, range roping boots.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Faye, are you missing your old ranching days? I know I miss my old roping/rodeo days, but as long as we can attend a few rodeos a year, go to the Hall of Fame Induction and have the Cowboy Channel, I'm really happy.

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I do and I like horses too and had several as a youth. Here is my favorite

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

People often try to make light of the things they either do not understand or cannot nor could not do. He says he watches football but yet there are more serious concussions coming off the field in any one season than there are in 10 years of rodeo.

And no, there’s nothing wimpish about any of our military forces. Everyone has a job to do in the military and those who do it deserve honor and none should be taken lightly.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Introducing the National Cowboy Poetry Club gathering from 2020.

Just about every night for the past week or so, I get a post on my FB page with some older western type gents and ladies who like to get together and quote their own poems. Poems about ranch life, horses and yes indeed, Rodeo.

Here’s a good one that was sent tonight and I do hope ya’ll enjoy it as much as I did.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Hollenbeck is the best IMO and no one even comes close to her poems and recital. Writing cowboy poetry is one thing and delivering it is another. She is the real deal and knew real rodeo long before it became an urban sport. She knows ranch life first hand and her poetry is all genuine, no-frills, and fancy words that are heard in so much of today's so-called cowboy poetry. So many reciting at today's cowboy poetry gatherings are not, nor have been ranchers. I love Yvonne because I can relate to her stories. They are real to me.

@Bobby Cole Here is my favorite one, although old folks rodeo is a close second.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Hollenbeck is a national treasure!

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.