Hot Air Frying / Air Fryers

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Feb 19, 2016.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From every first-hand account I've read, they do a good job with chicken (I think you posted a vid where the woman raved about her bird.) The guys on the forum who posted about this unit being on sale claim that it makes great wings. None of these are breaded, and they all were skin-on.

I still have a few recipes I want to try before I decide that the Space/Utility Ratio is unsat: Coconut Shrimp, Lemon Shrimp, Spicy Green Beans, and Pork Chops.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

From deep in the bowels of this thread, my only attempt at cooking a chicken in the AF... https://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/hot-air-frying-air-fryers.2803/page-4#post-404057

I have some raw wings in the freezer that I bought specifically to try in the machine, but so far I haven't. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When Walmart had the Emeril toaster oven with an air fryer on sale this fall, I got one because it was also just a tiny bit larger than our old toaster oven, plus has more functions.
    I have been using it and really like baking in it, and yesterday, I baked a butternut squash (my favorite !) and used the baking function plus the fan, which is pretty similar to the air fryer function.
    The squash came out absolutely delicious !
    It was browned at the edges, and the flavor was exceptional. We had some frozen fish filets, so I put those in and also cooked them on the bake with fan setting, and it made a wonderful and simple meal.
    I am definitely going to be cooking more veggies and baking some potatoes now that I have learned how to use this oven !

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

Sounds like you got a great deal, Yvonne. When I roast veggies (especially root veggies), I really like the way it brings out the sugars, and I always wonder why I don't use that method more often.

So how does the rotisserie function work in that open oven cavity...specifically, what catches the dripping juices? And can you air fry chicken and other things that drip batter or grease?

5. Yvonne Smith

We have not tried roasting any chicken in this oven yet. The old one also does roasting and rotisserie, so we saved it for when we want to cook a chicken, and I can keep my new one looking like new and not get greasy.
    That way, Bobby can set up the rotisserie in the old one and not have to change it around when I want to bake something.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I really liked my Showtime Rotisserie for all sorts of stuff done on a spit. I wish I had a bigger kitchen.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

I love the baking with fan function on this toaster oven ! Today, I am making acorn squash stuffed with Brussels sprouts and corned beef hash. We went to walmart and I found a muffin pan that should work. I tried the soft silicon muffin pan, and it fits, but it is so wobbly that you have to be sure to have another regular pan under it just to get it into the oven.
    I am sure I will find a use for those muffin tins, but it will be a lot easier making my oatmeal breakfast muffins with a regular muffin tin.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

2 million Cosori air fryers sold at Target and Amazon recalled after fires

Air fryers sold at Target, Best Buy, Amazon and other retailers were recalled by the manufacturer after it received hundreds of reports of the fryer overheating or catching fire, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Cosori said approximately 2 million of its air fryers in the United States were affected by the recall. An additional 271,000 units were sold in Canada and Mexico, the CPSC said.

For a list of affected model/serial numbers, here's the full article. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/2-million-cosori-air-fryers-203353282.html

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

I really enjoy this air fryer, and I use it a lot, and seldom use the regular oven anymore, unless it is for a large pizza that won’t fit in the little oven.
    Today, we are having another baked butternut squash and fish sticks, with fresh made tartar sauce. Once the squash is done, the fish will be in nd cook really fast.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Nick Lee

Nick Lee Member
    Registered

Air fryer is really convenient. I like to use it to cook sweet potatoes, very sweet and soft.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.