House Fire Thoughts

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Tony Page, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have to do any of the physical work to refurbish my house, however the mental work is tiring. We're told Now's the Time to make changes to the floor plans because the house is gutted and it's cost effective. I've been leaving it up to my wife and daughter to determine where to add/remove closets, walls, rearranging kitchen appliances etc..
    I am overwhelmed and my wife and daughter say I have to get out of "that" mood.
    Most of our stuff has been bagged or boxed some is piled in the house some is under a tarp outside. This stuff cannot be moved until the content book that the insurance company put together is approved by us and them.
    I have been going in the house looking for personal things seems like everyday I think of something else I like to have, that I don't want it accidentally thrown out. Fortunately most of the bags they used are clear, so I've been searching through them without opening. Recently I've been looking in our bedroom for a book I wrote my poems in for the last few years, it's a personal item that has meaning for me. I did find a picture of me and my wife taking the first year of our marriage by Studio photographer. It was on the floor under a dresser. Not sure if this should be in this thread or under the home improvements.
    I put some photos below and what the house looks like today.

I could not get the photo orientation correct.

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't imagine the stress of rebuilding. The mental work can be harder than the physical at times. While I understand your wife and daughter's point, I also understand that sometimes us women can focus more on the immediate and men tend to see the entire picture and get overwhelmed. Changing up the floor plan can certainly be a lot to decide. It is all a lot to process after such a loss.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

You're right about that it's like a slideshow going off in my head--- Plumbing, Heat, electrical, flooring, support, coating studs, on and on.
    I think my biggest worry is that I'm going to forget something I just turned 79 and I am slipping, so I'm big on list these days.
    That is the decisions on what to keep and what the toss. We've been getting different stories about what can be cleaned and what can't.
    They say anything that's material should be tossed couches clothes Etc. Then there's one camp that says they can be washed. I very rarely wear a hat but I did have a favorite winter hat for really frigid days it smell the fire we washed it three times never got the smell out.
    If I ever figure out how to post the pictures in the right orientation I'll put a few up.
    Thanks for listening.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You might think about hiring a consultant to help do a new floor plan. They can mediate between the parties and bring ideas to the table no one else would ever think of.

Regarding cleaning things made of cloth: will insurance pay for that? I would think they would.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Tony, why don't you start a thread in the Diary (journal) forum. Keep us updated on the progress along the way. I find it helps to write things down. It keeps me more focused and thinking straight. It would be very interesting to me and I think everyone.

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We hired our own adjuster to deal with the insurance company. He recommended the architect and contractor. All three of them are supposed to be working for me even though the funds will come from the insurance company.
    The insurance company has sent an adjuster to the house and supposedly counted all the items that have to be discarded, these items we will be paid for. That's why we're waiting for the content book which supposedly list all the items that cannot be used and must be replaced. It may also list items that could be cleaned they will pay for that. This adjuster spent three and a half days in the house counting items, I doubt seriously that he counted everything. I express my concern to our adjuster he says we'll have an opportunity to review the book and Mark it up with missing items and wrong counts. I said to him this process is not in the order it should be how can I tell you if everything has been counted if it's bagged and items that might have been in my living room might now be in the kitchen or outside under a top so it's going to make it difficult to verify everything. As an example I have a lot of books when the cleanup crew came in they took books and put them in bags with clothes, furniture and other items so for me to get an exact count on books I have to research every bag. It's the same thing with CDs or any other thing that's in quantity it's hard to get an exact count now that things have been shuffled around.
    The insurance company supposedly will pay for anything that the fire odor cannot be removed. The items with the most odor is material, plastic, wood and paper. Anything metal should wash off easily.
    All electrical / electronic items are considered damaged because the smoke damage is corrosive and in time can damage contacts.
    It's going to be wait and see what happens.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

Often times people feel freer after existing these situations because the slate is wiped clean. You may have a "fresh start" opportunity brought by catastrophe, to one degree or another.

Tony Page likes this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I think you're right. I was able to get one photo orientated right.
    20221211_171945.jpg

9. John Brunner

Tony, that breaks my heart. I'm glad that everyone is OK.

Tony Page likes this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks I appreciate it. One of the problems is if I think of something that's bothering me I don't want to express it to my wife or my daughter for that matter they have enough stress. Especially my wife right now she just got a clean bill with her breast cancer but I'm still worried because she's losing weight and hasn't been this thin since we first were married, but they say it takes some time hopefully they're right.

11. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

oh...my...tony...i do so hope that everything goes well...in the meantime..embrace the chaos...hugs to you and your dear family

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Having to recover from a house fire at this point in my life would really suck, not that it would be pleasant at any time. I am so sorry that you are having to go through this, and wish you the best.

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.
  13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you, without it being said there's this feeling that we all have a common goal to cooperate and get through this, and not let it deflate the Holiday.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken,
    Thank you,
    No doubt it will be an uphill effort, however everyday the light at the end of the tunnel seems to shine a little brighter.
    Today my wife and I went outside to clean the property a little bit because it's got to be a mess also, we are not in the best physical condition but the little that we did accomplish made us feel great and we intend to continue no matter how small the effort it all adds up in the end.

15. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

you have a blessed Christmas and you are already blessed with that wonderful family!

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.