How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Chilly & rainy since Friday.

Got down into the upper 30s last night, the same is forecast for tonight. Mother's Day is the "guaranteed no more frost" planting threshold in this region. I bet some areas get frost tonight...tonight's forecast is for 38°F and it will get down to 35°F or lower at my place.

I've kept a few logs in the wood stove since yesterday evening to burn off the chilly.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Hurrican weather is already being talked about for the Gulf and Atlantic states.

For us, it looks like our June temps are going to begin hitting us before June. But, that's fine. Makes for great boating/fishing weather.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I finish the basements in the houses we have had and that is where I go to sleep comfortably when the weather gets hot.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Into the 30s F. last night. Snow was predicted but did not occur. I would like to make a statement on "normal" temperatures. Normal temperatures should be a range, not a single temperature. The TV people especially talk about above and below normal temperatures without allowing any fluctuation. The "normal" temperature should be the mean +/- 2SD. If you only allow one value to be "normal", 98.7 F would be abnormally high for human body temperature and a fasting blood sugar of 98 could be considered very low. The mean and normal are NOT the same and it just drives me nuts when the do that on weather forecasts. They refer to temperatures or precip as being above normal or below normal, when they may well be within the normal range.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Down to 23 F. this morning. Had a fire in the big greenhouse to stave off the cold, but it still got down almost to freezing in there. There was a guy killed on the military base in Anchorage last night or this morning. It is very rare that they attack humans within the city, but it does occasionally happen. It says the bears are awake anyhow.

6. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Very comfortable 74 F with mostly sunny skies here in Central Florida. Afternoon high should be 80 or so.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I am all sweaty in the AM and haven't really done anything yet! I think I read 91!!! in Wisconsin!
    I don't DO nineties!
    Is it too late to learn to swoon?
    Have to go look it up and find out what it is.

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It was 23 F. this morning, but expected to be into the low 60s this afternoon. Sunny and dry as well.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Mild this morning with deep fog. The dog and I wended our way through it, though.

Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our average high for May is 71. This weekend we will be 80, however, next weekend, we go into the cellar for high/low. High forecasted to be 54 and low around 35. Boating season will come to an abrupt end for that weekend!

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

29 F. this morning. It is supposed to turn the corner on temperatures this weekend with highs in the 60s F. Clear and sunny.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We are having an unusually hot spring this year. In the high 90s for the next several days with no rain in sight.

Lois Winters, Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just wondering, Don, are there a lot of Seniors that live in Alaska? Guess, if there is, they can handle the winters there?

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

One of the guys on ranchers has a place in central Texas and is still feeding hay and his creeks are drying up. He says temperatures are in the triple digits and no rain for months. He will be selling off much of his herd if this continues. It is so dry even some mesquite is dying.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yeah, there are quite a few of us. We have extra benefits that I have mentioned before regarding taxes and such that are efforts by the state to keep us here. There aren't many who move here AFTER they retire however. You can either deal with the cold and dark or not. Some people have trouble with the long days as well.