How Did You Retire? Did You Keep Your Home

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Marie Mallery, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Did you retire around your kids or family? Do you live near city or rural area?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We retired and are still living in the house we built in 1994 in an unincorporated area outside of Houston TX. Plan to go out of here feet first. :D Our five children have scattered to the winds; all still in Texas except for one rebel who is a rolling stone and currently living in Oregon.

Sheldon Scott and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

We moved away 23 years ago so our closest child is almost 400 miles and son lives about 900 milies away ourside of Houston Tx.He is has been all over the wworld till last year. He at one time had over a million miles to cash in air miles.
    Hubby said he will stay here too but not so sure the resources like water will be here long. The whole state is overpopulated and its destroying our springs that and bottling,big ag .

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I retired, sold my house quickly and moved into my boyfriend's house. Then we took off to see america.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sounds like fun.Wish I could travel more. But hubby is a homebody.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I travel with him when and where he wants to go. He doesn't like leaving the country because he did that too much for years with his jobs. So, I travel internationally with my sisters and friends.

He doesn't mind and I get to travel.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Sold the house and bought another on a golf course in Sun City Roseville with my second wife. I was happy to retire early and start the travel and adventure for the next 31 years.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sounds like you had fun Lon.We haven't traveled much at all too busy working around here then illness and pandemic hit.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In 2010 I relocated to this rural area from hyper-crowded northern Virginia outside of DC. I had lived in that town since the early 60s and owned a home there since the late 70s. In fact, as a kid I used to deliver the newspaper to the house I ended up buying.

I brought my DC-area job with me and got laid off in 2014. Long story short, I had a hard time finding employment here so gave up looking and slumped into retirement. I sold my long-term home when I moved here...that was a chunk of my retirement nest egg.

I've thought of moving closer to another urban area...I miss museums, concerts, fine (or even decent) dining, ethnic groceries, etc. But I've become so habituated to the uncrowded laid-back lifestyle I have here (that process only took a week or so) I cannot adapt back. I have attended events in a medium-sized town about an hour from me, and I'll walk out of the venue lamenting the lack of such things nearer to home. Then I hit traffic and am amid all those humans, and I can't wait to get out of there.

Teresa Levitt and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

You sound like my hubby who keeps reminding me how it can be if I mention moving closer to my 2 daughters in N.Ga.It is great except for the loneliness. I've always been a people person and have a large family. But things change and so do people so guess he is right in some respects. All the grands are grown now with families of their own and both daughters have grand kids keeping them busy too.lots of change in 24 years.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Of course, the current kicker is COVID. I left a county that not only has a population of over 1,000,000 people, but there are hundreds of thousands from counties west and south of it who commute through (and shop there) every single day. COVID would be an entirely different experience in that mess than it is in my rural county of 33,000 people.

But aren't you near Atlanta? I read you grew up around Stone Mountain. You ain't exactly rural, are you?

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

I grew up in Stone Mountain but left in the early 60s. Most of my life was in burbs around Atlanta till past 40 years when I kept moving back to Florida where we have now lived for past 24 years after a short stay in NGa..

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Gotcha.

A friend lived in the burbs of Atlanta (I know he was in Cobb County.) I spent a week there in the early 90s. I've been to Stone Mountain. I loved the Buckhead District, but that was (obviously) a long time ago.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

The 90 sure were a long time ago far as decline at least. My daughters live in N.Ga. but not sure how long that will be a good exodus from the other crime ridden areas .

Frank Sanoica and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

But gee, when the Atlanta PD started hiring officers with felony records, I figured things were about to turn around :rolleyes: