Cursor And Keyboard Not Working Properly

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hedi Mitchell, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

When typing on this Dell lap top ,why is it the cursor jumps forward into my sentence? Or at times adds a word on its own? Or it will highlight an area and then trying to un highlight it takes a bit?

For instance canyou read this sentance that i am trying to type? it happens alot andis very aggravating to me.
    Tryitng to correct my own typos is sometimesimpossible. Even if i hit space bar does ot always space.Really do not think a virus . Also a box over words comes up - um suggested words maybe? annoying.
    Anyway if you can make sense from this and have an answer let me know.
    Wish i had better exmple od my issue.

John Nopales likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Does it always do this, Hedi, or is this something it is just now doing ? I don’t know much about laptops, but on my ipad, if I am using an external keyboard, it is because I need to charge the keyboard. Maybe try plugging in your laptop and see if it works better then ?

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I will get something similar with my MacBook if the trackpad is dirty or if it is set to be too sensitive. I think my thumbs or palms might accidentally hit the trackpad while I'm typing, thus moving my cursor or doing other things that I didn't intend to do, such as highlighting text. Although it's never so dirty that it looks dirty, maybe there are pieces of dust or cat hair on the trackpad that affects it. I don't know how or why, but cleaning the trackpad usually helps, and, a couple of times I found that my trackpad sensitivity had been raised, although I don't know how that comes about (maybe during an update). I never have that problem with the Mac Mini because I don't have to reach over the trackpad to type.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My iPad external keyboard seems to be having trouble. It skips letters when I am typing . Sometimes, that is probably me not typing the word correctly, but other times, it skips the letter, and then the whole ipad page seems to kind of jump around. Sometimes, it then gives me a different word because of the spell correct.

I have the Apple Magic Keyboard that my daughter got for me, and they are around $300, so I do not want to have to get another keyboard, and i am definitely NOT going to get a $300 one, or even close…….just not in my budget.

I have been looking at some of the other keyboards, but even those are around $100, so I am holding off and hoping for a good sale on something on Amazon before i replace this one.
    I really like the magnetic case because the iPad is not connected into anything, and I can just lift it off the case if I want to hold the ipad for some reason, like doing surveys.
    When they are in a regular case, then you have to pick up the iPad case and all, which is inconvenient, and a lot heavier.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Apple's keyboard prices are unreasonably high, I think. But, while any keyboard will work with a Mac, I do prefer the Apple keyboards.

Yvonne Smith likes this.