How Do I Prevent Water From Clinging To Pasta?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Steven Stanick, May 18, 2024.

1. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I make spaghetti, I always see water on my plate after I put the sauce on. That prevents the sauce from clinging to the pasta. I'm thinking maybe let the pasta sit in the strainer for several minutes then tossing it in a hoy skillet for just long enough to heat it. Any suggestions?

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wonder if part of the issue is the sauce separating. (Oops. You said the water's from the pasta. o_O)

When I make pasta, I slightly under cook it and then finish it in the pan with the sauce, adding some of the starchy reserved pasta water. That way, the pasta absorbs the sauce and the sauce clings better. I rarely put the sauce over the pasta, unless it's a thick meat sauce.

This article tells you how to properly sauce your pasta in the skillet.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    Jacob Petersheim and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Never done the skillet method. I just leave my pasta in the strainer until I'm ready for it maybe a minute or two. Here's an idea. You can also use two strainers (1) first strain and (2) place paper towels in the second strainer before transferring the pasta. I do not like links that read like a book. Cooking doesn't have to be that complicated to me. Another thing is to use a bigger strainer, shake those noodles around a bit.:D I crack myself up. hahahah

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I usually add my under-cooked pasta to the sauce to let it finish, then serve. Next time I'm gonna try all the steps in that website I linked (I don't usually add pasta water or fat.) Here are the steps without the babbling:

Heat the sauce in a sauté pan.
    Cook the pasta very al dente, using as little water as possible.
    Using tongs, transfer the pasta to the sauce, reserving the water. (Or drain it & save water.)
    Add some pasta water to the pasta/sauce (2TB per serving.)
    Add some fat (EVOO or butter.)
    Crank the heat on high, constantly stirring, adding water when necessary.
    Remove from heat. Stir in herbs & cheese.
    Return to the heat, add more water as required to offset the cheese’s thickening,
    Transfer to warmed plates or bowls.
    Drizzle on some olive oil.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Since I worked for a few Italians and Greeks, this is the “easy” method that was invariably used in a commercial setting.

After bringing the pasta to the al dente state, place it in a colander or sieve and rinse thoroughly with cold water in order to remove the excess starch from the pasta.
    Note 1. Once the excess starch is removed, one can apply a light oil to it and store it in a cool area until it is needed. You can even put it in a baggie and store it for a couple of days.

From this point, a person can either reheat the pasta by placing it in fresh simmering salted water, strain once again and place it on the plate or add it to the sauce without reheating in the fresh water and finish cooking in the sauce.

Note 2. If a person has a sieve that fits in a pot of hot water, so much the better. Leave the rinsed pasta in the sieve, dunk it in the simmering water for however long, remove the pasta filled sieve, shake it up baby until no more water is spritzing the atmosphere and go from there.

Note 3: If for whatever reason your pasta decides to stick to each other, unless it is overcooked a person can simply rinse it with cold water and it will come apart.
    Sticky pasta happens for two reasons: it is overcooked or wasn’t rinsed thoroughly after cooking or in some cases…..both.

Last edited: May 20, 2024