How Do I Spend My Days? How Do You Spend Yours

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The fun and physically active part of my retirement years is over,but I had 26 years that were fantastic.
    Because I have and am treated for two different diseases I spend a good part of each day managing my health.
    Doctors appointments to be made and transportation to them arranged. Prescription drugs to be ordered and organized for taking. Taking several short walks with my walker for exercise and to stay as limber and flexible as possible. In between the foregoing activities I will read, spend time on the computer and watch news on TV.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Well Lon I still do all house hold chores, grocery shop, handle all the business of auto insurance, bill paying, appt. making- all that I did while working. Not as fast now, no need for that. Since a daughter and GD have moved back in for a while that adds a bit extra doings.
    Me and the hubby have been going out on weekends - museums, zoos...things like that. He works in his garage with wood working , until it is hot outside.I have a fairly full day most of the time.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My weekdays consist of...…..
    first, making myself a cup of Folgers coffee
    then comes my breakfast
    doing laundry
    running dishwasher
    vacuuming
    dusting
    stripping bed sheets and putting clean ones on
    sorting/packing for our move
    making supper, if we don't eat out

Weekends (with wife)...……
    going out for breakfast
    Walmart and other shopping
    sometimes an hour or two nap in the afternoon
    AND, staying out of the heat and humidity

Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I still do most of the same things I have done for years, just not as quickly or easily since I fell. I no longer cross-country ski, and I coudn't even think about a dogsled now, but I still garden and do some manual labor.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No. Once, perhaps twice a week.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most days, I get up whenever I feel like it; usually I get up around 9 am but about once a month, I like to sleep until 4 pm or so. Of course, I go to bed between midnight and 2 am, and often read for an hour before going to sleep, so I'm not quite the sluggard that my rising hours might suggest. Most days, I eat breakfast, wash dishes, feed the cats, do whatever compost stuff I need to do, and then go to work on the computer. While I am working, I am in and out of the forum, so if I put in an eight-hour day, I only log six. When I am done working, I'll play a few games of solitaire on the computer. Then, before going to bed, I take Ella out to check for Martians. That's what I call it anyhow. Actually, she is listening to all of the night noises that she doesn't otherwise get to hear. Every now and then, she hears a noise that scares her, then she buries her head in my chest, to tell me that it's time to go in. Then I go to bed. That's my normal day. Sometimes, I'll go for a walk, or work in the garden, mow the lawn, or whatever.

8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I spend my Day in various time combinations totalling 86,400 seconds.

I also arise at 6:20 every morning, 7 days a week. This gives me time for the 6:00 AM news and a few minutes to wait for my wife to come into my bedroom and kiss me good morning.

Hal

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I spend my days doing whatever I want. :D I'm a night owl like Ken, so usually I don't get up till 9 or 10. Goof around, clean house, pull a few weeds, check emails, read a book, do some shopping, meet friends for lunch, discuss the meaning of life and politics with my husband, annoy people on internet forums, and now that it's warm outside, go swimming in the afternoons. I love to cook so I usually make dinner but occasionally we go out. All our kids have scattered to the winds so I don't even get to babysit grandbabies. This retirement gig is rough but somebody's got to do it.

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm up at five thirty or six thirty most mornings. I usually turn CNN to see if all is right with the world. I then weigh myself, check my blood sugar, then make a cup of tea and blow my harmonica until roommate gets up, around nine-.thirty and I make coffee. After breakfast which roommate always makes, I give her drops in each eye and we take our medicines. Sometime she makes the bed, sometime she doesn't, depending on how she fields. I usually do the breakfast dishes but haven't for a week or so do to lightheadedness. I usually go to the computer and type a few minutes to limber up my arthritic hands, write replies to any emails I need to send, pay any bills needs paying, then basically, I'm through for the day., unless I need to go grocery shopping or run an errand. She carries out trash when needed and puts trash barrels and recycle barrels out on the street on the appointed day. I do nothing more physical than wash dishes. Anything he can't do our son will handle when he gets time or we hire it done.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Most of the time, my daily routine, as well as Bobby’s, seems to focus on our fitness program, and we try to go each day unless the weather doesn’t allow it. (Pool is closed if there is lightning within 10 miles of the fitness center), or something comes up on our schedule that we have to do instead.
    Otherwise, we both have morning coffee (Bobby gets up much earlier than i do and has finished a whole pot of coffee before I even get out of bed )
    We check the forum to see what is new, and take care of the dogs, and sometimes, we start a load of laundry.
    I have my little virtual assistant online job, and that takes me a few minutes, several times each day, but by around 10ish, we are headed for the fitness center, and spend over an hour there.
    I swim and do water exercises, and Bobby works out with weights and strength training exercises.
    After that, we come home and do things around the house, and whatever housework needs done.Some days we go grocery shopping, so there is that as well.
    Pretty much it is a laid-back schedule, but one designed to keep us as healthy as possible.

I am going to start walking more each day. My Apple Watch alerts me to walk each hour and then I do that for 12 hours to complete the walking circle. Instead of just walking for a couple of minutes to satisfy the watch, I am going to walk for 5 minutes each hour, and at the end of the day, I will have walked for an hour.

12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Y'all don't really want to know, trust me!
    Frank

13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I saw the video. I knew it was you the whole time.
    Now, you'll have to split your loot with us to keep your secret.
    images (95).jpeg

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

So, today I did the walking for 5 minutes each hour. I didn’t get the whole 12 hours that the watch prompts me, but I did get quite a few of them, and I actually walked a total of three miles today !
    I could never have just gone on a three mile walk, but by doing it a few minutes at a time, I was able to accomplish it by the end of today. I just walk back and forth through the house, and about 10 trips to the back bedroom and back equals around 5 minutes of walking for me.
    I am going to try this for a week and see how it goes, and if I do okay, then I might start increasing the amount of time I walk each hour gradually.

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    Might I ask what prevents you from walking longer? So far, we are still able to walk 3 miles up and down the Riverwalk here, but only in cool weather.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.