How Do You Park Your Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

This is for those that live in an apartment/condo/townhome complex. Do you pull in/park straight or back in and park?

A young guy, who is living in a HOA complex on the other end of the city, got a warning letter about backing his vehicle into the parking spot. The HOA said it was "improperly parked". He said that he noticed that other vehicles, parked the same way, got a warning letter as well.

There are numerous residents in our complex that back into the parking spot. We tried it once, but didn't like it, so we always pull straight forward in. That is, when we park in the parking lot, being that we rent an enclosed garage.

Basically, it appears that this is another "trend", because I had never seen this done before we moved back to Colorado.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Seems like it's a big problem with some apartment complex owners. Wonder when this "backing in" started?

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

All the things going on today, its probably for a quick get a way and faster to enter and exit your vehicle before somebody robs or kills you?
    No n-hood is safe now.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I really disagree that there is no neighborhood that is safe anymore. There are safe ones, they just cost to live in them.
    There are those that still choose to park their vehicles "front in". But, have seen those back in, that really don't know how to back a vehicle up and get it in the spot crooked. Then again, I've seen people pull into a parking spot straight and way crooked.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We stayed at a hotel in Cinnaminson, New Jersey, where they had signs posted saying that backing into a parking spot was prohibited by ordinance. Seeing a similar sign at a restaurant there, it seems that there is a local government ordinance against it. We decided that we would never again stop in Cinnaminson.

I got in the habit of backing into parking spaces as a paramedic because you don't want to have to back out to respond to an emergency and, while I don't have so many emergencies anymore, I still find it to be convenient. In snow country, if it snows while I'm away from my car, or even while it's in my driveway, it's a lot easier getting out of snow going forward than going backward. Plus, where there are snowbanks along the street, it's hard to see if there is any traffic coming when I am backing out because I have to get half the car into the street before I can view the street. Going forward, I don't have that problem. So yeah, I'm a big fan of backing in and I can't see why that should be a problem for anyone. I don't park my car crooked. If I don't back in, then I have to back out, and the latter has more potential for problems.