How Do You Season Your Steaks?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Steven Stanick, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just saw a recipe for a meat rub so I thought to offer this question as there are millions to choose from.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I season mine with yummy mushrooms

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Just salt and pepper

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I decided to give my colon a vacation from heavy meats. No more meats except some ground turkey for my chili and some ground beef now and then for the chili. Did decades of steaks, chops, prime ribs, no more. And don't miss them.. Enjoy turkey on T-Giving....

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

All I want on mine is a light sprinkle of garlic salt. When I eat meat, I want to taste the meat, not the seasoning.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It depends.

Sometimes I use McCormick's steak seasoning and Lea & Perrins, especially if I'm grilling them or doing sous vide before the char. When I do them in a hot skillet, I only use salt & pepper and cook them in ghee, which I spoon over the top.

But as @Al Amoling said, always with tasty shrooms, sauteed with marjoram. And sometimes an egg.

(Daggone it, I've got spaghetti going for dinner, and now I want a steak.)

Al Amoling and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

If you slice up that steak a bit, there's a sauce I do like with beef stir-fry. Mongolian beef.

[​IMG]

They had sauce on the side once, and the waiter said it was plum sauce. Bought some. Tasted like tomatoes. [​IMG] So I tried this (Mongolian Stir-Fry & Marinade). Bingo!
    upload_2022-2-28_7-21-46.png
    I love this stuff on egg rolls. Just slightly sweet. One day I may try making Mongolian beef at home. The recipe is pretty simple. :rolleyes:

Sauce Ingredients:. Yes it has garlic, but I can't taste or smell the garlic specifically. My guess is that's the way it's supposed to be used—to enhance, not overwhelm.

upload_2022-2-28_7-21-59.png

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny, but when an ex-friend (note the word "ex") of my wife told me she doesn't eat meat at all, I asked her "so you don't support farm/ranch lifestyle of raising beef or pork". She said back to me "what do I care about farmers and ranchers? I live in the big city where I belong."
    Ever since that conversation, my wife is no longer friends with her. "Nobody puts down farms/ranches, like the farm my husband was raised on. She loves being single anyway and I sure didn't."

9. John Brunner

I used to eat at a Mongolian Grill restaurant. It was set up as all-you-can-eat buffet style, except the buffet was all the raw ingredients, including your choice of sauces. You would load up your bowl, take them to one of the guys who manned the large hot grills that were out in the middle of the restaurant where they would flash-fry your food for you as you stood right there. It was so very very good.

I've also had the Mongolian beef ordered off the menu. It's all good stuff.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

A good rib eye needs nothing but a hint of salt and pepper :)

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I've occasionally "aged" a thick rib eye in my fridge. Then it goes on the grill.

As you said, minimalist is best.

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  12. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Some adults put ketchup on their steaks!!!

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I know, so sad. My hubby was a meat cutter for years. WE always had beef. Once we grilled some rib eyes dinner and grandkid..he was about 10 at the time.. asked for the A-1..no way .not in this house. You ask for ketchup and your going home :D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Depends on the cut of beef and cravings at the time but rarely forget to put some nice Maitre’ D butter on top after the steak rests.

With the exception of T-Bones or Porterhouse, I normally don’t buy steaks as such. I’ll buy a whole lip on ribeye or a whole NY strip or a whole tenderloin but a short loin takes a meat saw hence I’ll buy the whole loin but have it cut at the butcher shop.

A whole NY is tough even if I cut it into steaks so to me it’s best if I smoke it for about 8 hours so.
    I’ll salt the heck out of the fat cap and whatever I feel like tasting for the rest. Salt, Pepper, Garlic or a heavy dose of a blackening seasoning that I make. Depends.
    The important thing is that it tastes fantastic and cuts like butter.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I mentioned I spoon the residual ghee over top of my steak when done in a hot cast iron pan, but I've never made House Butter for that purpose. It sounds good.

If you smoke meats, we should start a Smoker thread. I've had mixed success with smokers.

I gotta show you a vented range hood I installed for cooking this kind of stuff. There used to be a microwave above the stove.

171reduced.jpg

The 650 cfm fan is roof-mounted, so it's pretty quiet. The room is only 950 ft³...the air gets completely exchanged every 90 seconds. It's a great set-up for a screaming hot cast iron pan and a slab of meat.

Attached Files:

• 169.JPG
      169.JPG
      File size:
      104 KB
      Views:
    Bobby Cole likes this.