How Many of You Still Work?

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Mal Campbell, Apr 20, 2015.

?

Are you retired?

1. Yes, finally

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Yes, but not by choice

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Semi-retired, still working part-time

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. No, and I can't wait - I'm counting the days/years

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. No, and I'm happy to still be working

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think I have another job. There is a Maine history magazine that comes out every three months. It is distributed free to various places throughout the state, supported by advertising and subscriptions for those who want to have their own copies delivered by mail. Several years ago, they offered me a job writing histories of various Maine communities, since I did that while we published All Maine Matters. I couldn't do that at the time because I had too many other things going on. That's not what's being offered right now, but they are looking for someone to distribute bulk copies throughout the state, for which they would pay a reasonable stipend, along with gas and hotel stays for a run that averages three or four days. This was how we distributed All Maine Matters too, and I enjoyed traveling throughout the state. I took longer to do that, but it was during these runs that I would stay a couple of days in whichever community I had decided to write about for our next issue, talking to people, taking photos, and researching local libraries.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is awesomeness, @Ken Anderson ! !
    Before I met Bobby and got married, I had a similar job as they are offering you, and I really enjoyed it because I love traveling and learning new things about the area where I live.
    We had a small area magazine, which came out as an online one and also a printed edition which was delivered every week or two. It was called Rural Northwest, and included news from several north Idaho counties.
    The online version was updated frequently with news, and the printed one had news of a more general nature, plus advertising and articles about informational topics .

I delivered the printed version and took advertising orders as I went. We had a writer that did columns on various businesses (like restaurants and art galleries), so I also searched for interesting places that “Uncle Bud” could write about. Often, I went along with him when he was interviewing the person or business for his article, and that was always a great time, as well.

I didn’t go far enough away from Bonners Ferry to have to stay overnight anywhere, but I did do a whole lot of driving in my little Mazda pickup, meet a lot of nice people, and visit some beautiful country towns.
    It sounds like you will be doing about the same kind of a thing, and I am envious !

This is an article written by Uncle Bud about one of the road trips we went on to visit a unique little Idaho cafe.
    https://ruralnorthwest.com/fishing/unclebuddines/archives/020121.htm

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, will Michelle be joining you? Or, does she have to stay home while you have all the fun? Just wondering.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

She has her own thing going on with her recovery center.

5. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm still doing home improvements but I try to keep it to 20-30 hours/week because that's the limit of my energy. Last month I finished a beautiful octagonal deck. It was good work.

It's mysterious but lumber has gotten a lot heavier since I got old.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

LOL.
    Yeah. With the price of lumber nowadays, what I used to carry for $15 in one trip is now $54 so now I only carry $15 worth at a time and make more trips just to make me feel like I got a deal.

Al Amoling and Dwight Ward like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

At that staff meeting we discussed a possible pay raise for our only employee, me, and we figured that with the skyrocketing cost of fuel, materials and the maintenance of equipment, we might have to lay me off.