How Often Do You Eat Fish - What Kind Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I eat fish several times a week for either lunch or dinner .I love all fish but salmon is my favorite.

Terence Eames and Joe Smith like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I love several kinds of fish, but I don't often order fish in restaurants because I have had a lot of bad experiences with fish ordered in restaurants unless they specialize in fish. Since my wife rarely eats fish, we don't often go to seafood restaurants. Sometimes we have visitors from away who want to have Maine lobster, so we take them to a seafood place for that, although I order fish for myself. Most often, I'll order trout, as that seems pretty safe, although I absolutely loved catfish when I lived in the Rio Grande Valley, particularly freshly caught catfish. When I lived in Los Fresnos, the next town over was Port Isabel, which was a fishing port, and there was a restaurant there with all-you-can-eat catfish on Fridays. There was also a restaurant in Hidalgo County that was run by a Christian children's home that served very good catfish. I have had salmon that I liked, but most often I've been disappointed.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We have fish about once every three months. Salmon, catfish, some kind of Atlantic white fish.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When my daughter, Robin was stationed at Ft. Eustis in Virginia, and lived in Newport News, she took me to the most wonderful Seafood restaurant that I have ever seen (or could imagine).

It was so huge that it was easy to get lost, and wander around trying to find where your table was at, and the buffet had about every kind of seafood dish imaginable.
    I really enjoy most of the seafood that I have tried, and pan-fried oysters are probably my favorite.

Except for small restaurants like Captain D’s, we really have not been to any seafood restaurants in a long time, and Bobby doesn’t like Captain D’s anyway.
    I think that the one that Robin took me to might have been called Captain George’s; but I am not really sure about that.
    https://captaingeorges.com/locations/virginia-beach-va

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I love seafood. A pretty good seafood shop opened up just up the road from me maybe 5-6 years ago. I used to eat fish at least once or twice a week at first, now not quite that often.

I like tuna (my favorite), rock fish (sea bass), cod, haddock, flounder, swordfish, mahi, etc. Although not technically fish, I eat a fair amount of sea scallops, bay scallops, shrimp, oysters and crab meat. (I made sea scallops gratin for dinner last week.) I don't like clams or mussels.

For sport, I prefer to fish fresh water, but when it comes to eating fresh water stuff, I only like catfish and trout, and those have to be fried.

6. John Brunner

I've eaten at Captain George's in Virginia Beach. It is good. All those places are good. Seafood is the primary reason to go to the beach. ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't care much for fresh fish at all, but I do like tuna.

Joe Smith and John Brunner like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Wisconsin had fish fry's every Friday for as long as anyone could remember. Places on the lake served perch, On the big lake, Michigan, they had lake trout etc. But overfishing and pollution caused less and less size and quality. A few years on, a lot of places served fish from China. That's when I called it quits at eating fish out. Tillapia tasted like dirt, other fish was small with a slimy aspect.
    If you check, there are warnings not to eat fish more than once a week, less if pregnant etc.
    Even tuna and canned fish is not necessarily what is on the label.
    I have found that fish coming up from Peru is pretty good.
    Daughter fishes at small, out of the way places around here.

9. John Brunner

I recall eating perch from Lake Michigan in the 60s. We lived in Indiana and vacationed at Muskegon State Park. My dad parked our small trailer there for the entire season, so as kids we spent extended vacation time there. Perch was often on the menu.

I agree with your comment on tilapia. I never even heard of it until it suddenly started showing up in restaurants well into my adult life. I may have had it once. I'd rather eat goldfish. At least it's a familiar species.

The entire industry stinks. You may recall when some were stamping rounds out of sting ray wings and selling them as scallops.

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

We have fish at least once a week It is salmon or haddock or swordfish or tuna

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Almost never eat fish. It's not that I don't like it. I just don't have time to cook that much, and hardly ever eat out now. My favorite would probably be fried catfish. I also like Captain D's, but would usually always order fried shrimp.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved Arthur Treacher's but that was long ago.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

It was the best!!! I was so disappointed to seem them wither away, but towards the end you did not want to eat food that was made there.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Once a week and always northern waters wild-caught. Nothing from fish farms, not even the USA and especially China that runs their sewer through the farms as food for the fish. I prefer mainly Cod, especially Ling Cod, sometimes Halibut if prepared right and not to dry. I was never a salmon fan even though I could drive 5 miles, catch and freeze or can several pounds of it every year. My all-time favorite is canned Sturgeon, but that hasn't been available for years.

Terence Eames and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

I have never heard of sturgeon as a food fish...I always associate it with caviar. I just looked on line and you can still get it smoked & canned...at $28/pound (which is not that high for seafood, but still...) Amazon will sell you a whole 1# smoked slab for $142.

I agree with you about salmon. I like fish, but it's not my favorite. It never has been. Probably all those canned salmon patties we had when I was a kid.

Faye Fox likes this.