How's The Crime In Your City?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Where we actually live, very little-to-no crime, believe it or not. Of course, to a point, we pay to live in that kind of area.

But, the Northside, Northwest Side, Westside and East of us is somewhat-to-much different. Since the majority of people here are White and Black (50% and 40+%), there is a lot of Black-on-Black and White-on-White crime here. Our local news does portray us in having a lot of Black crime here.

It seems like are large percentage of folks here, have a gun in their vehicle. So, most here have to watch beeping their horn or yelling at another driver.
    The city/area has changed quite a bit since we moved here in Jan. 2009. Seems like almost everyday, someone is shot here. We have never ever lived somewhere with this much crime! However, there is almost a million people living here now.
    Just another reason for us to move in a year or so. Have to get the old finances "up to par" first.

How is your area?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I live in the best part of the city...very far northeast.

Central Fresno is the pits...

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I live in a small town so we don't have a lot of crime, particularly violent crime, but there is some, mostly young people who came here since the mill closed -- probably on public aid, since there's no work.

There have been some home invasions, but there is usually some connection, such as teenagers or young men who knows someone who has something they want.

I haven't heard of random home invasions, in other words.

Other cases of violence are due to alcohol and/or domestic fighting.

Overall, I think we're pretty safe.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't have a large amount of crime here either...it's probably because cajuns are to busy "passing a good time" most of the time! :p

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I live in a rural area 20 miles north of London. The crime rate here is very low.... I looked up the crime statistics for our nearest market town, and the offences mainly include shoplifting or random theft of items like cycles or ... and committed by people generally who come into our small local market town by train from the London Boroughs and straight back out again after they've committed their crime ..

London of course is a HUGELY different kettle of fish...but fortunately we're far enough away and too rural for their crime not to have reached us generally speaking ..

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Having grew up here I've seen this city at its worst periods of crime to the lesser. Mostly during the summer months and a few times it has gotten really close to where we live. I use to walk to the store down the street to save gas and get a little exercise until my son expressed his concern so I drive instead.

Chrissy Cross and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't live in a city and I'm not confessing to any crimes.:p

8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I checked and Houston is rated 3rd on the list of most crime per capita. :eek: Baltimore (really?), and Chicago are worse than Houston. I can understand Chicago being on the list, but Baltimore? I hear about Chicago quite often, but I really don't remember Baltimore being mentioned in this context. :oops:

I did some looking, and I live in one of the few safe areas around the outskirts of Houston. There were no safe areas listed within Houston's city limits. :(

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, some cities, like ours, can sure keep law enforcement busy.

Chrissy Cross and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

So little crime here that when someone stole some change from an unlocked vehicle it made for local coffee shop news.

Hedi Mitchell and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish @Missy Lee , but since I've been here for 64 years, I'm sort of use to it. :rolleyes: I just like having something to gripe about. :D

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. This very small city has had 8 homicides so far this year, I think the first 7 occurred before the middle of February. The first murder of 2017 occurred around two hours into
    the New Year. And that's only the murders. I guess that answers your question.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since 2001, Millinocket has had one murder. In 2015, some guy killed his baby by shaking her. Although it’s not clear that he intended to kill her, he was convicted of murder. There have been nine rapes, four of them in 2001. Eight robberies, twenty-seven assaults, quite a few burglaries and thefts, and two arsons.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Criminal activity may very easily be linked to a simple fact: will the person preparing to engage in criminal activity feel comfortable in committing the crime undetected and unapprehended. The criminals who have successfully carried out their trade are not brazen madmen, but rather calculating individuals. Certain types of criminals have carried out their "trade" for many years, unapprehended. The "newbies" stand the best chance of being caught.

Crime is a pervasive problem in all societies. My "fix" is simple, but unacceptable to society, so I will go no further.
    Frank

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My actual living area...in a gated apartment community is ...none. Outside of here can be questionable. We pay too much...by our finances to live here but worth the extra money.Um not sure how much longer that will last though.