How's The Crime In Your City?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My community seems reliveity safe but nearby Oklahoma City reminds of Chicago.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs
    Ahhh, Chicago! Place after my own heart! While growing up there, virtually everyone knew of the restrictions concerning possession of firearms, yet we knew of no one not possessing some. Kind of a conundrum. Crime was then less rampant, I believe, without figures to substantiate, but we and our neighbors knew full well that given the need to protect our property, ourselves, or our loved ones, our "illegal" guns would be placed on active alert.
    Frank

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

NYC has always been sophisticated and welcomed diversity. I see a lot of kindness here, a willingness to help each other out. 9-11 probably helped us in caring more for each other.

Bloomberg did a great job in creating beautiful, park-like small spaces throughout the city right smack dab in the middle of all neighborhoods, especially in Manhattan. I think these places of respite brought calm to its residents.

Our police department is generally stellar at their job and try to show respect (generally again) in the worst of situations.

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but these come to mind immediately, Frank.

4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

The year we moved to Detroit (1972) there had been more than 1200 murders and the official estimate of the number of guns in the city was one for every three residents. Detroit was being called "The Murder Capitol of the World.

Across the river in Windsor, Canada, they were bemoaning the 100% increase in murders over the previous year....from 2 to 4. Sigh.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Had a Gate Gas Station robbed at 4:30 this morning by a young black dude. A clerk, that got into a verbal confrontation with the robber, was shot and is in life-threating condition at hospital.
    I've NEVER lived in a city that has so much crime in it! Again, can't wait to move.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Mary Robi
    What troubles me always, regarding "numbers of guns", is the accuracy of those published statistics. IOW, if many of the guns present were obtained illegally, say, through theft, person to person purchase, gifts, etc., the statisticians have an enormous number of "uncounted pieces" to contend with, so I suspect the published numbers are estimates, at best. Further thought: Do the published numbers of guns present include those in possession of Law Enforcement, Security Officers, Private guards, and the like? Maybe. Is suicide "murder"? Guns are often used; suicide is universally "against the law", seems stupid to me, but failed suicides are punishable by law, which keeps Prosecutors in jobs. At any rate, can the number of murders committed be linked to the number of guns present?

Or are those differences you cite between Detroit and Windsor the result primarily of cultural differences and mindset?
    Frank

7. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

It was mentioned about my climate compared to Colorado yes we are warmer but sure are getting freezing temps nightly lately with the humidity it goes right through you feeling, a huge reason our crime is low here is the people do not tolerate it and being mostly rural most all here are armed, really the do not put up with it mentality I feel is the main reason it is low, I do remember in the last 10 or so years a few home breakins and most all were shot dead. When we got the influx of Katrina evacuees from LA crime went way up 3-4 were killed and it went down and most left. Many had to be forcefully evicted from places offering them a place to stay, thefts went way up, they left all back to normal.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

As I've stated before, the crime here in Jacksonville just never seems to slow down.
    Just last night, very early morning, a guy was walking his girlfriend to their front door when shots rang out from three or four young men. The girl was hit in the back, but will survive. The men were there to rob the place, but the couple got home as the young men were about to enter the house. The young men all took off.

A father and his 14 yr old daughter were shot at an apartment complex last night. It is reported that that has been much crime at this complex thru the months/years.

A lady and a guy get into a confrontation at a dive bar here, early this AM. The woman goes outside and get a machete from her vehicle and when the man comes out, she slashes him across the face. He was taken to the hospital.

People here don't care about this stuff, but the do like the salaries they get and Happy Hour during the week and hitting Sports Bars on the weekends. Our restaurants here are packed Wednesday thru Saturdays.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

This happened very near my house and I live in one of the better areas in Fresno. Don't know what happened here but I'd like to know.

IMG_2914.JPG

Frank Sanoica and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We also have a problem with people going through our trash when it's put out to the curb. I used to put mine out the night before but now I do it early morning.

Police can't do anything about it either because it's on the street and not on your property supposedly.

But the worst that's happening now are car break ins. I park in my garage so I don't worry unless I'm in a parking lot.

And it happened to a woman at Curves.

She goes to the early class when it's still dark out....they broke into her car and took a bag she had on the back seat.

It was mainly dirty sports clothes from a child but expensive tennis shoes that he wore for some sport.

Nobody even heard the glass shatter because it's noisy inside Curves...women laughing and talking and music playing.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  11. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Never leave anything in a car that could be seen, even if it's a bag of garbage.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't have anything in my car....nothing in glove compartment either ...don't want anyone know my address if it's broken into in a parking lot.

What I need is in my purse...and that goes with me.

Frank Sanoica and Lulu Moppet like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What about your vehicle registration and "Proof of Insurance" card? Both are in our glove compartment, but our vehicle is always parked in a spot in the parking lot right in front of our apartment.........and alarmed. A red light blinks on the dash, indicating the alarm is on.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It's in my purse and my insurance is on my iPhone...an app...but before it was a card in my wallet...in my purse.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Your Best Part of The City has plenty of crime Crissy. Just check the Police Reports. Just because there are not as many shootings and killings doesn't mean you have no crime. The whole damn city of Fresno is rife with crime.