Hud Housing

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you ever lived in a HUD house or apartment? I've heard that not the most desirable people use HUD. IOW, can be illegal drugs, etc..

However, my MIL (wife's mother) rented an apartment, where the complex was run by HUD and housed numerous older Seniors, like herself. When we lived in Orange County, CA, we visited her a couple of times and the apartment, and complex, looked very, very nice.

Advice/Suggestions..........whatever.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Advice on what? Are you looking for HUD housing?

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

No I have not, but know people who have and do live that way. here it is not like it once was . Seems better. There are apartments and houses under HUD. The apartments were called The Projects here and may still be called that. The main thig is, once again you are ruled by the government, You can only make so much money to live in them, or so it use to be. I do hope you and your wife are not considering this as alternative living -unless you have no choice. Here it is a two year waiting list.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Once she is no longer working for the company she is, from home, she was having thoughts of contacting HUD. Personally, I don't like the idea.

From what we understand, the apartment complex we are living in, and have been for almost two years now, is someway part of HUD.

IOW, the words, "HUD" and "Projects" never/ever appealed to me. I was told that both relate to drugs and crime.

Perhaps where ever some HUD residents are, not all housing is bad, but I sure haven't heard much good about them.

5. John Brunner

Drive by and look. Get out and walk around (in daylight.) Take a look at online police/crime reports and see what's going on (if anything) at those locations...some real estate websites post such stats.

6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

there are apartments here specifically for older folk...and we had a friend who got one...it was great!
    People our age...coming back and forth....chatting in evenings out at the sitting areas..

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, renting an apartment is not real estate stuff. Actually, we stay out of neighborhoods and areas that HUD is in.

If Gloria is correct, by what is called "The Projects", have heard to many terrible/horror stories about such places.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Is the apartments part of HUD?? Generally, places for older folks are called 55 plus communities, of which definitely aren't HUD.

9. John Brunner

I fell for it again, didn't I?

10. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

you know....maybe not...but special price based on income

John Brunner likes this.