Huge Chemical Fire In Georgia

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Sep 29, 2024 at 5:42 PM.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They have ordered a shelter-in-place or evacuation for Conyers, Georgia because a huge chemical plant is on fire there. This just happened, so there are not reports of what caused it yet, but it seems like the South has sure taken more than its share of hard blows this past week.

IMG_7109.jpeg

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I do fully understand how that could happen.

Years ago in late spring, I was helping a friend get his motel pool ready for the upcoming season.
    There was a bucket with some remnants of chorine powder stuck on the bottom that I simply added water to because I was cleaning a pool after all and what harm could a little chlorine do?

Anyway, I saw some pool fungicide and since the sides of the pool looked pretty nasty from sitting all winter and added it to the bucket and then put my brush with the long handle in with it and swirled it around a bit.
    Do note that I was doing all of this next to a table with an umbrella stuck through the middle of the table.

Whilst mixing the contents in the bucket, it started to smoke and fizz and if I hadn’t dropped the brush and backed off quickly, the ensuing explosion would have done to me what it did to that table umbrella. The shock of the explosion was enough to cause the umbrella to unseat itself and in turn, cause the unseated umbrella to tip over the table and bleach whatever cloth the chemical itself touched from blue to white.

All I’m saying is that with my experience, I can understand how a sprinkler system, coming into contact with two opposing chemicals could cause such a large explosion.
    Perhaps they should have isolated each opposing chem to its own end of the plant?

Funny thing also, after the mishap, I read the warnings for both chems and neither one said anything about not mixing the two together.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 9:01 AM
    Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No there would be such warnings @Bobby Cole. Mixing chlorine compounds with anything is a pretty risky thing to do. Many people have been overcome by fumes when they mixed bleach with household ammonia. It brings up memories of a college incident:rolleyes:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, bleach cleans great so adding ammonia to it must be even better !

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered