Hunting

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How many of you have hunted? Do you still hunt? Do you think hunting should be banned? Tell your stories.

Everyone in my family hunted, with the exception of my mother, and she usually got her deer too, because someone hunted on her license. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations is up on that one. I hunted one season, when I was fourteen, I think. I believe the hunting age was twelve but my dad didn't take us hunting until we were fourteen, or something like that. I'll tell my story further later in this thread, but I realized pretty quickly that I didn't want to hunt. Although I enjoyed shooting and being in the woods, I would have probably vomited if I had to gut a deer. I didn't even like looking at them hanging on the deer rack.

However, I am not opposed to other people hunting. I know how to shoot and I suppose I could hunt if I really had to, but thus far I haven't had to. In Maine, the minimum hunting age is ten.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am also from a family of hunters, though I never hunted anything except assorted tin cans and targets. My dad bought me a bolt-action 22 rifle when I was 12; I recently gave the gun to my son to pass on to my little granddaughter someday. I loved that gun and had it hanging on a rack in my bedroom until I went to college.

My father's rule of hunting and guns... if you shot and killed something you had to eat it. He didn't believe in killing anything simply to watch it die (except for random poisonous snakes.) My brother learned how serious dad was when he had to clean, cook and eat a robin.

My husband has never had any interest in hunting, and only one of our kids is a hunter. (As an aside, my husband and 4 of our 5 kids has their concealed carry permit and own handguns.)

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm pretty much of the same mind as you, Ken.

My father hunted somewhat, but I don't know to what degree. I recall having rabbit once...I was likely 5 or 6 years old. My older brother got a pheasant once, but I don't recall the event, I've just seen pics. One of my younger brothers used to hunt every year on a friend's farm, starting in high school and continuing well into his adult life. I've had lots of venison that he has shot.

I went a few times in my late teens after my parents split up and my dad bought into a hunt club as something to do when his sons visited (he lived 2 hours away.) This was one of those deals where you would be there at 4AM freezing your butt off, you'd get put in the bed of a truck, then driven to some remote spot in a swamp, where you would sit and freeze and wait for them to run the dogs through. I did not enjoy the experience one bit. I recall falling asleep once and waking up to the sound of a nice buck running by. I got off a hasty shot and missed. Later, when we were all back together, the group wanted to know who took a shot and missed...it seems that the punishment was to have your shirt tail cut off. I did not own up to it. I really don't like that kind of "guy stuff." Being an asshole is not a bonding experience.

I've never killed or butchered anything. Funny, I bought this place on this large lot specifically because I like to shoot handguns. I had a place picked out for a range and everything...even downloaded NRA plans and EPA recommendations. After I got here I encountered fox, turkey, deer, and a ton of other critters that hang out all around my house. I've posted pics of said critters right by my deck. I like having them around. So I don't shoot. I don't want to scare them off.

I have nothing against hunting, and I carry a sidearm, but I'd rather take pics of them than shoot at them. Now, if it were a matter of survival...

4. Ken Anderson

I loved venison, so I was glad that other members of my family hunted. I tried bear meat once but wasn't too crazy about that and, as far as I can remember, I didn't find anything special about pheasant, partridge, or duck. My older brothers brought several of them home, and I didn't hate eating them, but I think I preferred chicken.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

There's not a lot of meat on game birds...it's mostly breast meat. The legs are not worth messing with, even on something as large as a wild turkey. My brother used to dove hunt at that farm. I cannot imagine how many it would take to make a meal. I've had duck and goose at restaurants, but I'm sure those were commercially raised. I've never had wild bird.

Generally speaking--in my opinion--the flavor of game is dependent on its diet. The strong (gotta soak it in tomato juice) venison I've had has been shot in mountainous regions where they eat roots, acorns & berries. The delicious venison I've had has been shot in agricultural regions, where it's had all the corn it could eat.

6. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I think so. I have had venison in Texas and thought it was disgusting, although it was from a white-tailed deer, the same as tasted very good in Michigan.

7. John Brunner

Did you have any other game while you were there? I know that wild hogs have become a problem, and hunting them there has become almost a tourist thing. Feral hogs here are a nuisance species that have no hunting restrictions, but we don't have that many. The Virginia Dept of Wildlife Resources says that consuming feral hogs can carry risks, and it provides a link to a USDA site for details, but that site says nothing about such risks. The state discourages hunting of feral hogs because they claim it does not reduce the population (they say that you gotta kill 70% of the population in order to start a decline) and they are afraid that any increase in the popularity of such sport only encourages people to establish larger populations to satisfy the demand. Yeh, I guess.

Virginia recently reintroduced elk to the state, and the population is doing well enough that there is a lottery for the limited hunting tags. Again, it's a game animal I've not had...nor have I had squirrel. Actually, squirrel is the one critter I am tempted to "hunt," merely because it seems to be a popular food item and I've not had it...and it would be relatively easy to kill and butcher without needing a lot of guidance. I also just read that Virginia has a groundhog season on public lands (there are no restrictions on private land), inferring that some people must eat it (they have a veggie diet and carry no harmful diseases.) I can't imagine, but I knew a guy who claimed that his childhood pet groundhog "disappeared" during lean times.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I used to hunt and fish a lot when we had kids at home, but no longer do so. All my children in Alaska are hunters and fishermen, and two of the three daughters-in-law are also hunters. I hunted whitetails as a kid, but moose up here, although all three boys up here hunt caribou, of which I am not a particular fan. For Decades we were on the "road kill list" and would salvage animals that were hit by vehicles whenever a trooper called. Nothing beats cleaning a moose on the roadside in the dark at -40. Some of the best meat we got was bear that was a so-called "self-defense" shooting of a yearling black bear in the spring. We also got a cleaned and bagged moose that had been poached, and the troopers waited until they knew the guy had cleaned and butchered it before they busted him and took the meat.
    Out youngest son just got a caribou during a winter hunt a couple days ago and he had the entire thing made into hot dogs--his favorite thing.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We will go to an indoor or outdoor gun-rifle range, but don't hunt. Have absolutely nothing against hunting and love seeing big/nice mounts, like at Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse.

I got my first weapon, if a Daisy Pump BB Rifle can be called that, when I was a Junior in high school. On the farm, a lot of sparrows would crap all over farm equipment and I was told, by my step-dad "shoot all of them you want". So, at night, a farmer friend of mine and I would go inside our barn, hold a flashlight up against the side of the rifle, point at the roof (boards that hold the roof of the barn up), see the back end of sparrows and shoot. They would come falling down to the barn floor. Cats would get them.

Went thru Small-Arms training/certification at sea in the Navy. M-1, Thompson Machine Gun, 45 pistol and deck-mounted 50 caliber. I never thought a Thompson or 50 caliber were "small arms", but.

After the Navy, never had a firearm until I met my wife. My wife's mother shot a beautiful White-Tail (large rack) when my wife was a little girl. My wife's first firearm was/is a Ruger 10-22 Rifle. Now we have two rifles and two handguns. She knows how to load the magazines and shoot. Pretty darn good shot, if I do say so.

I like elk meat, but when I buy it from Sportsman's Warehouse, there is beef in it. Had duck once somewhere, but it was extremely oily. Love fishing for Rainbow Trout, but mostly do the "catch and release" on them. But, do love fishing from our boat.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I never hunted for sport. It was either for food, and/or clothing or as an environmental equalizer. As a kid, it was a few cottontail rabbits, but I never like the taste or skinning them. I only hunted rabbits because they were crop destroyers since the fox, wolf, and coyote populations were low. Coyotes, foxes, and wolves never figured out if they had stuck to rabbits, rats, and squirrels (ground and tree), that they would have lived. Lambs, chickens. and calves were easier and perhaps tastier. My red digger kills are in the thousands. I never made a dent in their out-of-control population and destruction. Of course, many a rattlesnake died, and at this point in life, rattlesnakes, rats, marmots, moles, voles, and mice are the only creatures on my kill list.

I have hunted with a throwing knife, tomahawk, longbow, crossbow, muzzleloader, revolver, and several cartridge rifles. I quit hunting in the early 1980s about the same time I quit butchering my own homegrown meat. When I left the remote mountains, there was no reason for hunting. I see no good reason for city folks hunting and am strongly opposed to trophy hunting. I also find hunting deer, elk, moose, etc., disgusting if the entire animal isn't used. I always kept even the bone and still have some that I use for crafts. Making my own buckskins was fun back in the day, but now it would be punishment.

I never bird hunted as the first time I picked lead pellets out of a spit-roasted quail, that was enough for me. I shot grouse (in the head) with a .22. The only shotgun hunting I enjoyed (enjoyed probably not the right word) was with East Texas (somewhere east of Decatur) cousins when we threw open an old abandoned grain shed filled with huge rats and we blasted and reloaded till the owner arrived and after thanking us, he tossed a diesel soaked lite rag in the shed and burned it down. He later stopped by my great uncles to give us all $5 each (to cover ammo cost) for ridding the shed of rats so they didn't escape to be a problem elsewhere as the rat magnet grain shed was scheduled for burn. I guess that made me a paid assassin. I soothe my conscience in the fact that it was ammo reimbursement although I didn't buy the ammo.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting little story and as you imply here not many animals left to hunt since they have lost their habitat to urban sprawl.
    We bought a bow & arrow 2 years ago since bullets are harder to come by and the cost. Just in case we needed to hunt to survive.
    All I got out of the lessons was whelps on my arm and fetching arrows. Hubby of course did great with it for first time.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So, you'd never go into Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse or any other store that had trophy heads displayed or the entire body?

As far as your statement above about city folks and hunting, without a doubt, I'm sure there would be tons of city folks that will totally disagree with you. Even though wife and I do live just inside the city limits, we sure don't consider ourselves as city folks. Absolutely not! Actually, and not to change the thread, we seen a man baling hay in a field right inside the city here. Stunned us so much, I had to take pictures and a video of him doing it. And, there is a guy, across the street from a major grocery store here, that raises some Black Angus cattle. We've seen the cattle grazing, after leaving the store.

13. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I used to hunt as a kid but only killed things I ate. Getting a gun at 13 and learning gun safety and how to hunt was a way of life and rite of passage for many of us born of WWII survivors. I had a Stevens semi-auto and a single shot 12 gauge.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I never indicated that I would or wouldn't. Having friends that are taxidermists, it doesn't bother me to see trophy heads or the entire animal if the game was taken for a justified reason. As a former cattle rancher, a stuffed wolf or cougar in a sportsman or cattleman's store would be a welcome sight, if it was taken because it was a domestic livestock or ranch dog killer. The idea of killing just for trophies is what I referred to.

Not sure how baling hay in the city limits relates to hunting. :confused::rolleyes:

15. John Brunner

What is a red digger?