Wonderful Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2017.

1. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I got out of the habit of wearing a watch when I started working from a home office, but I'll be interested to hear how you like the Smartwatch @John Brunner.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe the SE does have fall detection; it just doesn't have the heart EKG function or the blood oxygen sensor.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It does have the fall detection and emergency calling, @John Brunner ; just not the ECG and blood oxygen sensor. Other than that, it looks like it has all of the features of an Apple Watch 6.
    https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-se/

You will enjoy being able to just tell your watch that you want to call XXX, and the watch will call them. That is what bobby and I do all of the time when we lose each other in Walmart.

Having an Apple Watch as a device to tell time, is actually one of its minor functions, as far as I am concerned. I love all of the health benefits from the activity tracker, as well as it syncs with so many different health apps. For me, it is like having a doctor on my wrist !

Great minds think alike, @Beth Gallagher !

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Us Apple Watch peoples don’t need no stinking Starbucks to be classy. We’s already gots lottsa class.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm the same way. I only put on a watch when I go out of the house. But I live alone in a pretty isolated spot, and treat my cell phone the same as my watch: it's only with me when I leave the house.

So for emergency purposes I'll keep this strapped to my wrist for its 911 capability. It will be handy to have on me not only in the house but when I'm doing work outside.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Pass the Cheez Whiz, pleeze.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. John Brunner

@Yvonne Smith @Beth Gallagher

You know, I told the Verizon guy that I only needed one-touch 911 and not fall detection or any of the other stuff, and he recommended the SE because it was half the cost of the 6. He didn't tell me the SE had fall detection. That's good to know...I almost went with the 6 just to get additional safety benefit. I wish my regular girl (Krystal) had been there...she's sharp and would not say anything without verifying it first.

As an aside, last week I called Samsung to find out if I could add 911 as an Emergency Contact for their Galaxy Smartwatch to dial when I pressed the button. I forget what department I called (they don't have specific pre-sales support), and when the guy could not find it in the specs that were available to him, he transferred me to another area he said did not have a direct line and might take a couple of minutes to answer. I was on hold for over half a hour with no ringing, no music, no nuthin' but dead silence. The call never disconnected, but no one ever picked up, so I eventually hung up.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

Thank you!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never called emergency services from my watch, but I believe it is at least 2 operations... press the side button and get a menu that includes "call emergency services" (as well as "power off device" or something.) I suppose that's to keep from butt dialing (or whatever the equivalent is on a watch) 911.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yes, that is the two options that you get when you press the emergency side button, since it is also how to turn the watch completely off. I did notice that when I am in the water and for some reason (low battery ?) wanted to shut the watch off, it only allows the emergency response and not the shut down response. So , if I had trouble while swimming, and pushed the emergency button, it would immediately send an emergency alert.

12. John Brunner

I thought I had read that you hit the button 3 times in rapid succession.

A web search shows these methods from Apple support:

1-Press and hold your watch's side button (the button below the Digital Crown) until the Emergency SOS slider appears. Drag the Emergency SOS slider to start the call immediately. Alternatively, you can keep holding the side button. After a countdown, your watch calls emergency services automatically.

2-On your Apple Watch, find the small oval shaped button on the right of the device directly below the crown. Press and hold this button until it beeps. A countdown will start, and when it ends the Apple Watch will contact emergency services. You can cancel the countdown if you've set this off accidentally.

3-After saying "Hey Siri, call 911" to your Apple Watch, a countdown will begin, and the call will go through after five seconds. You can also tap "Call" to make it right away or "Cancel" to stop it.

A video showed that this is a User-enabled feature.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Or…..slam your watch hand on something. Not kidding.
    If I accidentally do it hard enough the emergency option will automatically come on. Even though the watch has calibrated itself to my regular activities, even a robust and abrupt high-five can set it off because the watch isn’t used to it. My left hand normally holds things whilst my right hand will use a hammer and other tools and the watch is on my left wrist.

One other thing. When I first operated a belt sander with the watch on, it immediately told me that the decibel rating my sander made was too high.
    After I dismissed the warning a couple of times it learned that the tools I use are common place and not to warn me any longer.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

"You'll shoot your eye out. Oh. I see. You want to be blind. Well, don't come complaining to me... And where's that shirt I bought for your birthday? Don't you like it? I knew you'd never amount to anything..."

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You could have just bought a fannie pack to use on your tractor, @John Brunner. I have never lost my phone while on my tractor, but I could see it happening. Wife uses a fannie pack for her phone and (occasionally) her gun.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.