Wonderful Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yup, get used to SIRI. She’s mama and a secretary all balled into one. You may get along with her and heck, may even fall in love with her but she hates me.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I've been luck that I've always been able to find the phone. There are a few spots where I mow through bushes and it always seems to get pulled off there. Fortunately, I've never heard the sickening *PING!* of my mower deck finding it.

And I have a special fanny pak for carrying concealed. It's not too conspicuous.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. John Brunner

My Mazda has voice guidance for the NAV system and for other voice command stuff. I call her "Arekkusa." That's Japanese for Alexa. So far she has not overstepped...but she's Japanese. She's not gonna get too aggressive.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We learned to use the packs when we lived in the "bush". Nary a purse is seen in the Alaska bush areas; all the women wear the packs. They are handy when around livestock as well--everything is available.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Clearly, it doesn't matter to you guys that I do not approve of the Apple Watch.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Talk about sour apples er …grapes!

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. John Brunner

I didn't necessarily see disapproval. I saw a desire to have it as a stand-alone device...but the Android version isn't, either, except that you can use them both as a phone without being tethered to the watch (meaning you can set the watch up with its own SIMS card and leave the phone at home.) You do need a phone in order to drive the watch's settings and to have the base cell account to associate the watch with in both formats.

And I guess you don't like the toyish style...neither do I, really. It's too "teenage girl." (I remember saying that about the early Macs.) I much prefer the Samsung.

I will commend you on your consistency, though. Here is your post on the subject from August 1, 2018:
    Unlike the folks on that thread, I'm not gonna ignore you. In fact, when I was ready to seal the deal, I thought to myself "WWKD?" My first thought was "Adopt another cat." And then I said "I'll take the watch!!" ;)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

9. John Brunner

I picked up my phone and watch late yesterday afternoon. I think I'm gonna like them.

The complaint I have so far is that there are no manuals, no instructions, no "getting started" guides. The folks at the Verizon store tell me that the Apple Store in Richmond (45 minutes away) offers classes that you pay for. That kinda irks me. We'll see if I can find enough guidance on the web.

I went back to the Verizon store today to ask my usually friendly rep some questions, and she kinda copped an attitude. It's near where I routinely shop, so I've dropped in there off & on for years (sometimes just to say "Hi") and she's always been nice. Maybe she's having a bad day.

Anyway, I think I'll be happy with this purchase.

Kate Ellery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Go to apple.com; all the manuals, etc. are online. Plus there's an active forum.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

On your iphone, you have an app called “Books”. Go there, @John Brunner , and search for iPhone user guide, and Apple Watch user guide. They are free.
    You want the phone one for the 14.6 iOS, and 7.5 iOS for the Apple Watch.
    There are other guides that cost, but I have found the free ones from Apple are very good at explaining everything.

28FA1DFE-4DAD-4BF8-A936-67A81CEC787C.jpeg

John Brunner and Kate Ellery like this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

You will be up an running with our help in no time @John Brunner ..would @Yvonne Smith or myself lead you astray ……..NO WAY
    A0D250E2-3C6D-48B7-B21A-4EE5B280D795.gif

By the way you can always phone Apple customer service ….if you need assistance you can book (on line )to receive a phone call at a time that suits YOU ….to sort out any issues …...or phone them and they will set up / arrange a phone call to assist you in setting up any apple products.

believe me it’s much better than going into a shop ( they are usually noisy )

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

@Kate Ellery @Beth Gallagher @Yvonne Smith

I know I'll be the most experted user in my area with your help!

The Apple Stores here are so busy that you have to go online, create an Apple Account, get an Apple ID, then book an appointment to get in the store. This is not just for service and training, this is also for browsing & buying. No one gets in without an appointment. The Verizon guy was telling me that this process preceded COVID...they they have been that busy. I don't know if this is a regional thing or nationwide.

I negotiated reseller agreements with Apple back in the 80s, when they were barely treading water trying to expand their PC base beyond the education and graphics markets. It's amazing.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You need an Apple ID for Apple devices regardless of whether you use the Apple store support. In our area, a reservation for the "Genius Bar" has always been required, but before Covid you could walk in to shop or drop off a device for repair, etc. I have no idea if everything is 'appointment only' at this point; typically the stores are crazy when new devices are released but fairly easy to get into on a normal day.

John Brunner likes this.