I Am Missing My Pre Retirement Home

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The attached picture is of the home that I lived in for most of my working life and sold it when I retired. I lived there with my wife and daughter. It is a three bedroom 3.5 bath home of 3,000 sq. feet with a pool and spa in the back yard. I am quite comfortable with my present living arrangements and guess that what I really miss about the old home are the memories.

Attached Files:

Ken Anderson and Shirley Martin like this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree, Lon. Houses can be replaced but not precious memories.

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I never took a pic of the tiny home I spent over 30 years in...at least not a digital pic.

Lots of memories there, even as a single guy. It's "home."

Marie Mallery and Joe Smith like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We miss, but don't miss, the only house we've had together. It was in Colorado. I was never a part of "home ownership" until I met my wife. Her and her ex had bought a house together, but sold it when their divorce happened.

We don't miss it because:
    It was too big for us, being that it was a 2-story, 3-bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, living room/family room and upstairs den that we only used once in 3 years living there. Also had a 3-car garage, which was nice for the boat we had at the time. It was on a 1/4 acre lot with a big backyard. Never used the two extra bedrooms, or the family room. Had a big dining room table in the family room, but never used it. Ate in the small dining area next to the kitchen.

It turned out to be way, way to much of a house for us to clean and upkeep. Actually, the house was in a "family" type housing development and numerous neighbors wondered why someone would live there that had no kids.

Sold the house when we moved to NC and then to FL.. Our income now won't allow us to buy another house, but that's ok with us.

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have owned and lived in seven different houses. One in Napa, California, two in Fresno, California, two in Roseville, California, two in New Zealand

The picture of the house with the wrought iron fence was my favorite and the second picture was on a golf course. WEST SPRUCE.jpg Sun City.jpg Sun City.jpg

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

That;s a nice place. I am still at the place I will miss the most. I love it every day. It is becoming more work than it used to be but I have some help from my daughter. I just had my first steak to sample from this years beef, just brought home. Thank goodness it is quite good. My last was 15 years old because It was my pet. It was two years of awful beef. Never fall in love with a cow!
    But I have 5 acres of lawn to mow compared to your lovely place. Mine will never be as manicured as yours.

7. John Brunner

5 comments in 5 months gives me permission to take this thread on a detour...

I worked with a woman (June) who had a farm on the side. She & her husband raised beef. A couple of times each summer I would load my gas grill in my truck and take it into work so my staff and other folks could picnic for lunch. June would bring the beef.

So during one such picnic we're all sitting around the table, enjoying the silence you only get when people are happily shoving food in their faces. June breaks the silence with "How's Blossom?" I shot her a look...I knew what she was up to. So of course, someone had to ask "Who's Blossom?" June replied with "Blossom. You're eating Blossom. How is she?" About half the people got "that look" on their faces and set their half-eaten burgers down on their plates and went for the factory hot dogs. It's funny how people are.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

OK, you started it.
    Before I ate rabbit regularly, I was friends with s 4H leader She said she was cleaning out her freezer for this year's meat and asked if I would like some rabbit. I said sure and she brought over a box. Everything was wrapped in white freezer paper.
    I took it down to my freezer and I took out the first package. It was labeled 'Brownie'. The next was 'Fluffy' the next was...
    I was gagging. But we did eat the meat eventually.
    I feel badly when I eat a cow that I have raised etc. But I tell them regularly how good they have it. No one breaks their tails, they get brushed daily, they have a run-in to get out of the weather and the flies, good pasture...
    I think of the poor normal cattle I see out in the world. And the ride at the end...

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

That's pretty funny. It's different when there's a name attached. A younger brother used to hunt, and I recall going to his house and there was a gutted deer strung up to the garage rafters, seasoning for the final butchering. As we walked past it, I looked to my 5 year old niece to see her reaction. There was none. It was her "normal."

I can't recall if you've said... (Now we take it back on topic because you & I are risk-adverse.)
    Pre-retirement, were you raised on a farm?
    Did you raise your own meat?
    How was that as a kid...did you get attached to critters that were later slaughtered?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

I was not raised on a farm. I cried over the death of animals. But my first post collegiate job was milking cows for 5 years where I could put a co-worker I did not like into the freezer. It seems I have become less affected by putting animals down, only in the last few years. But I definitely want them treated humanely. even the wild ones if needs be.
    Animals are not here for our pleasure in disregard. They have feelings that most people are not aware of.