Marco Poodle And Other Dog Adventures

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most of you know that we had to put my beloved Chipper to sleep last summer, and I have been grieving and missing him ever since.
    It has been a struggle that I have been thinking a lot about, because on one hand, I know that no dog can ever take the place of my Chipper, and on the other hand, I have just been really missing having a little lapdog, to snuggle and pet.

I finally am ready to get another companion, and have been looking at the dogs available for re-homing. Most of the dogs that come through the shelters here are pit bulls, or other large breeds. I like big dogs, but I really want (and need) a small dog that I can pick up and carry, and that won’t knock me over, dashing around.
    Anyway, a lady needed to rehome this little Poodle, and I think that he is going to fit in and be just the right new dog for me.
    He is about 6 lbs, but is skinny, and clipped down to almost no hair; so once he gets a nice fluffy coat and puts on a little weight, he will probably be around 7 lbs.
    He seems really content here already, and happily shared my dinner, and then made a trip out around the back yard to do his business, and now he is snuggled right next to me in his comfy little dog bed.

I am not 100% sure of his name yet, but he reminds me of another little Poodle we used to have named Ashley, and seems to have the same loving personality; so at this point, I think he will be Ashley, unless some other name just seems to fit better.
    Here is a first picture, so everyone can see what he looks like.

8D82BB0C-6549-4ED3-A8E8-91B2F60B3748.jpeg

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Congrats on your new friend, @Yvonne Smith! Do you know how old he is? Poodles are generally good tempered dogs and they have the advantage of not shedding, so you can control when the coat is reduced. You do have the extra grooming expense, though, but it isn't much. Good for you!

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Wonderful!

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

She said that he was three years old, which is a good age. I didn’t want to have to raise a puppy; so he is mature, but not old. The lady that I got him from said she had only had him about 6 months, but she was having some kind of personal issues in her life and needed to find him a good home.

Poodles are actually one of my most favorite dogs, and they are both devoted and very intelligent.
    I still have my dog clippers from before (for grooming Chipper); so I should be able to do most of his grooming myself.
    Chipper’s mother, Peaches, was a little white Poodle, too, but she had the short legs and chubby body, and her tail had been docked really short. She always reminded me of a tiny little sheep, with her square little body and almost non-existent tail.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Congrats Yvonne, I'm sure you'll get along famously.

As you know my daughter has labradoodles, and they have the high intelligence, and the limited shedding of poodles, as well as the fabulous laid back easy going nature of the Labrador..

If I were to have another dog, it would definitely be a rescue, and I would want a Labradoodle, or poodle..

6. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

This is wonderful! It's so hard to live without animals around. So glad you found Chipper, he is real cute.

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Lovely to hear :)
    He has found a very good loving home

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I’m happy for you! @yvonne .....I just have one question....doesn’t he already have a name if he’s 3?

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

How is Poo-ch doin' Yvonne :)

Bess Barber and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

He is doing really great, and loves being next to me, loves his petting, and sharing my meals with me. I am still working on a name, believe it or not...... I still call him Poodle, and he knows that is his name for now.
    He did have a name when I got him, @Chrissy Cross , but I didn’t like it, and he didn’t answer or even respond in any way. They called him Huey, and probably had other dogs named Dewey and Louey.
    I tried calling him Ashley, but then I had a mental picture of my first Ashley, so I want to give him a name that just brings a mental picture of him .
    He is already starting to learn words, and coming when I call, and I think that he is a smart little dog.
    Once he learned that he can jump, he now bounces from one chair to another and on the footstools, like he is a squirrel ! He was so proud of himself when he learned how to jump.

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Poodle is a nice name.

12. Yvonne Smith

Poodle is doing really good, and I am so happy that I found him. His coat finally grew out enough for a trim and grooming, and he is all proud of his new look today .
    I got him a little squeaky toy and have been teaching him to bring it to me. I think that he didn’t know what a toy was, but he loves the idea that when he carries it back to me, he gets praised and petted.
    Here is a picture from this morning, after last nights bath and grooming.
    80415AA3-8EFD-41B8-8F10-7324DB60F27B.jpeg

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

He looks very dapper :cool:
    We watched a bit of Crufts dog show and there was a beautiful white doggie on there who seemed to know she looked
    the business - the owner usually positions the dog, but this doggie did it all by herself, amazing to see ! She came 2nd
    The one that came first looked amazingly weird, a beautiful doggie but I've never seen ears like that. It looked like they
    were positioned with wire ! :p

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

[​IMG]
    This is a similar doggie - a Papillon (with ears)

15. Patsy Faye

Registered

This is a better picture - but the ears were more elongated across the top :p
    [​IMG]