I Have A Hawk Hanging Around Right At My House

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by John Brunner, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

What people? I look like an S when I sit. Haha

2. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm just going by the nesting habits of the bald eagles and goshawks around here, They prefer the highest trees with some bare limbs close to the top. This gives them a panoramic view of the surroundings. Perhaps your trees fit the bill more than others close by.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That friend who has 8 of them on his property says they are at the top of his tallest tree. But look at the 2 pics in this post. The branch in the first pic is barely higher than the 6' satellite dish mounting post off to the right. I can touch the branch that one is perched on in the second pic without stretching. When they see a critter crawl on the ground from this low, they don't swoop...they kinda fall straight down and land on it.

That's what shocks me the most. A healthy fox could leap and grab them where they've chosen to sit (although this is not their sleeping roost.) They always return to that spot in late afternoon when there's plenty of daylight left, although their arrival time seems to be getting pushed back from maybe 5PM to closer to 7PM. I have seen one leave that roost in the early morning and fly to a higher perch at the end of the field, supposedly to put the sun at its back as it hunts (this species is not exclusively nocturnal.)

Now, the hawks I have like the higher trees, although I've seen them perch on the bed rails of my truck. They are tougher to get pics of since they are so skittish. The best I can do is to stretch the limits of my small Canon Power Shot and shoot through windows:

hawk truck bed.jpg

hawk high perch.jpg

Hawk on post.jpg

4. Dwight Ward

Registered

I have to clarify that last. I haven't had my second cup of coffee.

The high trees with bare limbs are where I've seen goshawks and bald eagles perch to hunt. The hawks I've observed hunt while they circle in an updraft as the buzzards do. The goshawk most often nests on a piling away from the shore. I don't know where the others nest.

Tony Page likes this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Registered

I think it's easy to get confused between where they nest and where they settle to hunt for prey. Sometimes the same, sometimes not. Great pictures.

6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

sitting on the back of your truck....amazing!

7. John Brunner

Understood.

Yeh, I have no idea where these owls nest. The same goes for the hawks and the woodpeckers and all the other birds, except for the ones that nest under the eaves of the house and in the bushes. During the early spring I hear the hawks circling and screeching in various parts of the wooded property, but who knows where they actually live?

edit to add: I could get even better pics if the darned things would sit still ;)

Marie Mallery and Tony Page like this.
  8. John Brunner

I think that's where the rabbits hang out.

Tony Page likes this.
  9. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

uh oh...we lost our rabbits to the lady's cats...across the road

10. Dwight Ward

Registered

I've found that freezing them with a fire extinguisher works to make them sit still, but then you have to take a blow dryer to them when you're done.

11. John Brunner

A blow dryer and not the microwave???

Oops

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Dwight Ward

Registered

... depends on what you want for dinner.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Lots of gun owners here [which so far I'm glad] but it seems they may be killing off wildlife[ which I'm NOT glad].
    We use to have all kinds of owls and still have a few hawks. Haven't seen a fox in several years now. Still se wild turkeys and deer at times.

Tony Page likes this.
  14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sorry to hear that you wildlife has been diminished. I don't hunt but if I did it would only be for food.
    Between hunting and the expansion of civilization decreasing our natural habitats has threatened if not eliminated wildlife in those areas.
    I understand the need to discourage or remove the wildlife that threatens our food supply and our lively hood.
    I just wish there was a way to live side-by-side with the native species.
    A lot of areas have preserves to try and protect wildlife in that area. I just don't know enough whether or not these areas are checked that the animals are okay and surviving.
    I always felt that there should be a program similar to Noah's Ark to assure that all native species in this country are protected.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

So many have moved into our area and cut down all the trees and forest,so that too is really affecring the wildlife.
    We try to keep our forest although we do have to fight vinees that kill all native plants and trees.We will have to do some clearing just remove the vines and try to keep the trees and native plants.
    Our deer family escaped last month after the storm fell a huge tree on our fence. So its wide open now. Haven't seen the mama or baby since storm.She did have 3 in past couple years with her.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Tony Page likes this.