I Hurt

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

At our age, I figure we could use a hurt thread.

Rather than buying topsoil today, I went for the free stuff from the town compost area. I have a grating that I use to filter the uncomposted wood, rocks, and trash out of it so that I am not hauling junk home with me, and that works pretty well. But I made three trips and hauled six 32-gallon trash cans full of compost, and nine 5-gallon buckets of it. I didn't fill the cans up to the brim because I didn't want any of it spilling in the car, but they were at least three-quarters full. It didn't seem all that difficult, except for lifting the large cans into the car and carrying (dragging) them over to the back of the yard. Once I was done, I felt okay about it but now, a few hours later, I hurt everywhere. Well, not everywhere, but in several places.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

It's depressing.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could forget how it used to be.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I hurt all the time since I had my accident, but I can certainly identify with your pain. My youngest son brought home two magnificent 10 cubic foot wheelbarrows with two wheels in front. Used but in fine shape. I can use them to move soil, compost or wood. I am even thinking of a way to hook one to the three-point hitch on the tractor:).

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Ten cubic feet of dirt has got to weigh over 500#!!! I'd be attaching it to my tractor, too...or just use the front end loader and make planters out of the wheelbarrows.

Holy moly...who could push 1o ft³ of anything around?

Marie Mallery and Tony Page like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Son said landscapers use them and run with them. They are well-balanced tools.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope you feel better soon Ken. And don't do that again...you could do some long term damage.

Our brains tell us we can still do so many things we used to do...and then our bodies show us that we can't. Still we can be grateful for all the things we can still do.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson -lol we all can sympathize with you on pain. the trampoline has helped with my pain. It has not cured everything but has made a big difference. Does sound like you have overdone yourself, so you need some Aleve, hot shower or bath ,stiff drink and rest up some. :)

Ken Anderson and Tony Page like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sorry you hurt @Ken Anderson but are you in “pain”? What I’m getting at is the day after a really good training period I hurt also but am not in pain.
    The ache or hurt stemming from Micro-fissures in muscle fiber is different than rupturing a bicep tendon or tearing a muscle which causes a lot of pain and needs to be examined by a doctor.

If you’re just sore from a heckova workout with that dirt then a good muscle ointment and a couple of Aleve (naproxen sodium) should get you going.
    Added to that, if you can muster up the grit and just warm up your muscles with a little stretching and maybe a pushup or two so they do not lock up on you, you’ll probably feel a lot better.
    Wax on wax off or painting de fence isn’t required but guess what, it does loosen up the muscles. :)

Now, if all is as I suspect, Welcome to the muscle mass building community.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear about your pain, Ken.

I have a waist fitting back brace I put on to lift somewhat heavy things. Unfortunately, sometimes I will forget to put it on and later.........well, out comes my VA prescription of 800mg ibuprofen, some CBD Deep Rub and my large cold pack. My main pain comes in my tailbone.

If we do something somewhat strenuous, like launching/retrieving our boat, we have to have the next day to relax.

We walked up and down isles of a local car show this past Saturday and we are just now, on Tuesday, getting over all of the walking we did.

10. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken - hope you feel better. I have some Tito's vodka in the pantry I can share. You still hurt, but you don't care anymore...

11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

At our age, the only thing you can count on with the body is that things that are supposed to move don't and things that aren't supposed to move do and if it can hurt, it will.

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Actually, I discovered that whiskey is about the best pain killer there is. I have terrible back pain sometimes, and I have taken acetaminophen, ibuprophen, naproxen, and other OTC and prescription pain relievers, but have found a shot of straight bourbon works better than any of them, except for perhaps prescription naproxen (but the naproxen takes forever to kick in). I told the VA that and they sent me directly to physical therapy...which is something I have been trying to get for years.

Tony Page likes this.
  13. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I woke up on Easter Sunday (April 4) with my right hand on fire. Long story, which I outlined elsewhere, but it is osteoarthritis and am taking meloxicam for it. It hit my left hand about 2 weeks later. Some days are really bad, today they are pretty good.

But even on good days I have to use both hands to squeeze toothpaste, cannot lift the end of my mattress to tuck the bedclothes in -- but I have learned to use my forearm instead.

So now I've felt like crap for the past week, with more aches and pains. Covid test came back negative this morning, I just went in for a blood draw to test for Lyme disease.

Yeah, getting old is fun. :(

14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Perhaps you could get one of those robot tube squeezers for toothpaste.

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  15. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never heard of that, but I did find squeezers at Arthritic Supplies.com. :D

A week ago I never knew such a place existed, but I guess I'm not surprised. Haven't ordered anything yet but probably will at some point.

Tony Page likes this.