I"ll Bet Most Members Think Of Me As A Liberal

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Because I am a Non Believer and post about white injustice toward blacks. Actually I am a Conservative Republican

2. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'd be interested in how you would describe "Conservative" and "liberal." Have they changed during the past few decades?

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am a Barry Goldwater/ Ronald Reagan type Conservative.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'd say you just watch too much television, Lon, and you believe far too much of what you hear.

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Being profoundly deaf I watch little or no TV and hear nothing.

6. Ken Anderson

Where do you get your persistent virtue signaling from, then? Newspapers?

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

Not sure Ken. I seldom read news papers. Virtue signaling?? That's a new one to me.

8. Ken Anderson

You're set pretty well financially, Lon. Why don't you voluntarily pay reparations for the evil deeds done by your ancestors? Maybe you can pay Al Sharpton's taxes for him, or buy Barack another home on the coast. There's no point in virtue-signaling if you're not going to do anything about it.

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

My ancestors were all abolutionists. and my day to day actions speak louder than $$$$$$

10. Ken Anderson

My ancestors were in Sweden.

Which actions are you referring to? Besides the virtue-signaling, that is.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I thought that you said that you always use the closed-captioning when you watch television, @Lon Tanner ? Like this picture that you posted in the TV thread you started.

6BAED001-12E6-4B91-85D7-9947031BDC3C.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have a serious question @Lon Tanner.
    Why is it lately that you have been so bent on trying to convince everyone here that you’re not a racist and that many of us on this very forum are?

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Lon Tanner

Registered

Yes --I always use Closed-captioning but captioning is abreviated and incomplete. Watch it yourself and you willl see what i mean.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just because you have a couple of friends who are black and voted for Reagan doesn’t mean you’re not a racist nor a liberal.

Ronald Reagan swung from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party and I have a black friend who is most certainly a racist.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Although I sometimes refer to myself as a conservative, that word doesn't mean much of anything anymore, particularly when people like Mitt Romney and John McCain are referred to as conservatives. That's not a camp that I want to be in, so I am more of a constitutionalist. If, as a country, we would follow the constitution, I might not agree with every decision that is made but the country would be okay. I don't know if any of you remember Dennis Kucinich, but he was a liberal Democrat from Ohio who was also a constitutionalist, or at least more so than most people are today. As a liberal, he would support policies that I disagreed with but he would pursue them constitutionally, and that's something that our country can survive.

I didn't vote for Reagan, but neither did I vote for the Democrats who ran against him. I won't go far into my reasons for not voting for Reagan here, but if anyone's interested we can start another thread. In short, he was too much of a contradiction. I lived in California while he was governor, and he signed the first pro-abortion law into effect while he was in office. He was divorced, which doesn't make him an evil person, but he rarely even visited his children from his first marriage and, as far as I know, he rarely attended church. So when we were presented with him as the Republican candidate for president, running on a Christian, family values ticket, there was a disconnect there, and I had the feeling that he had simply reinvented himself for the campaign.

As president, his rhetoric was good, but that's pretty much all there was to him. I think it was Pat Buchanan, who was one of his speechwriters at the time, who said later that Reagan gave the speeches but George H.W. Bush set the policy. I wasn't impressed, and I didn't vote for his reelection either.

For the most part, I hate Republicans, but Democrats are literally the enemy. I didn’t vote for Richard Nixon in 1972. I didn’t vote for Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, or Bob Dole, either. I did vote for George W. Bush the first time because Al Gore was certifiably insane, but I didn’t vote for Bush’s reelection. I didn’t vote for John McCain or Mitt Romney, but I did vote for Donald Trump. However, the only Democrat I voted for as a presidential candidate was George McGovern in 1972.

So, when I am paying attention, I will refer to myself as a constitutionalist rather than a conservative, and to make sure this is on-topic, I think of @Lon Tanner as someone who lets the media determine many of his opinions. There's no other reason for virtue-signaling since it's pointless otherwise. I won't say that you're a liberal, Lon, because I don't think you've thought the issues through carefully enough to have arrived at your own positions. That's not uncommon these days. It is the product of several decades of conditioning.