I Never Thought I'd See The Day Hamburger Was This Expensive

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Shirley Martin, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

that "Cheap" hamburger would be $4.59 a pound. We bought 73% lean hamburger for that price yesterday. Poor people used to eat hamburger because it was cheap. We bought it because it cooks up better on the grill; not quite as dry. What on Earth are poor people going to eat now?

2. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I guess you missed the part with the earth saviors, globalists and assorted idiots are telling you to eat bugs. I kid you not!

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I ain't that hungry yet.

If that includes cockroaches, city dwellers won't starve.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I keep an eye on meat sales every week, and usually buy some for the freezer to take advantage of a sale price. The local stores seem to use some meats as a "loss leader" so I have picked up family packs of ground chuck or chicken breasts for a reasonable price. It kills me to pay $5.15 for a pound of butter, though.

Tony Page likes this.
  6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Recently I've been getting London Broil for $2.99 a pound on sale, it is not a tender cut but it's great for chop meat so we'll grind it up.
    I do the same thing as you I'm always looking for sales, I have a grocery store that has name brand cereal on sale every week, it just kills me to pay $5 a box for cereal. Last week I got Kellogg's for $1.88 a box, week before I got General Mills for $2.29 a box. Any item that has a good sale price I tried to stock up on also.
    I checked all the grocery store flyers each week and do all the digital coupons, it's a challenge but I kind of enjoy it looking for those deals.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I find that buying the "family pack" of stuff usually saves money, too. So even though it's just the 2 of us, I divide up the pack and use my vacuum sealer to put stuff in the freezer. I have quite a little hoard of meats now.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

That's good got to prepare for the Rainy Day that's coming or so they say. My freezes are almost at Peak, I probably can fit a stick of gum. We do the same thing we buy the large packs of meat and separated it.
    We occasionally have a problem with first in first out even though we record the date and what was in the package for each item we freeze. I guess we got to learn to organize it better.

Krystal Shay and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It takes a lot of effort to organize the food for sure. When I vacuum seal stuff and write the date on it, I have to take everything out of that "section" to put the newest on the bottom. I bought some good-size freezer baskets that make it a little easier; I use a basket for chicken breast, a basket for ground pork and chops, a basket for beef steaks, etc. I keep all the beef in my refrigerator freezer, but chicken, pork, fish, etc. go in the big freezer in the garage.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Krystal Shay and Tony Page like this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I have two refrigerator freezes one is in the apartment and is shared between us and my daughter, I have two more freezes in the basement they are small. One is with the door on top the other is a vertical door and has drawers inside. There's no Rhyme or Reason how the stuff is arranged in them so we need to do an inventory. I want to limit use of the freezers in the basement due to my limited Mobility. I go down there maybe every three or four days to empty the dehumidifier tank, at that time I'll try to bring up what we need for the week.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We would ..I have not seen a roach in over ten years.. in our apt they do something about 3 mos. Costs us $ 4 a month.. mandatory fee

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Ground chuck at Win Co $5.20 per lb, Dozen of eggs at Walmart $3.42,banana 62 cents a pound, If you cn find chicken breast under $3.99 a lb, you best stock up, and that is at Walmart . sugar 8 lbs, is $6.12 . Just giving a few examples from here. We do not keep much ready made stuff on hand,never have, I guess that helps? i can make 3 meals or more off pkg of chicken breasts. Have even been buying thighs, and some legs which are cheaper. Things such as Blue Bell ice cream is bought only on a really good sale.
    Meats, chicken and ect only buy on sale. We have always had a small freezer as apts fridges and their freezers are too small. Luckily when we move to Ks will have better acess to meat. The neices hubby works fora large cattle rancher, um i smell BBQ ;)

13. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Great minds. :D I keep baskets in my freezer to separate my meat and other items too! I find it easier to dig through, and keep track of what I have.

Tony Page and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As far as "what on Earth are poor people going to eat now?" question, there are many in America today that have the "I don't care. I take care of my family/friends and that's it." attitude. But, many aren't starving, unless they choose illegal drugs over eating and, like it or not, happens a whole lot.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The day of the McDonald's .15 cent hamburger is long, long gone!

As far as us, we will buy some meat at local grocery store, but limit it. A lot of times, we simply go out to eat. We still cook, but not nearly as much as we did 15 to 20 years ago.