If We Eventually Discover There Is No Other Life In The Universe

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Steven Stanick, Dec 23, 2022.

1. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

What will the impact be on the world? Also, what if we do discover intelligent life elsewhere but too far to even attempt to visit what impact will that have? To me, it would be depressing to know we are alone in the universe because it would make no sense in terms of why this creation began.

Reen Davis likes this.
  2. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is not something I've ever really thought about, but either way I don't really see
    how it would have any impact on our world.

Now that I am thinking about it - if there is intelligent living beings on another planet - I wonder
    if they are asking the same questions about the possibility of other inhabited planets.

Personally, I hope we never discover another inhabited planet within reach. If there is one -leave them in peace.
    I also hope there isn't an uninhabited planet within reach that would support human life - the damage mankind
    has done to this one is enough.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Good question Steven and I’m not at all sure how that would play out.
    For one thing, a whole realm of study based on the belief that extraterrestrials had something to do with our ancient history will be for naught.

Theologically speaking, it would end the question of whether or not He who we call Jesus Christ had to do the same thing over and over for different civilizations to insure salvation.

Other than those two quick thoughts, I’m going to have to ponder on the question for a while. Again, good question and thread.

Reen Davis likes this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Discovering any kind of extra-terrestrial life would be incredibly exciting news to me. I would love to see it before I check out. For myself, I am highly doubtful of technologically advanced life outside of planet earth. If you believe in divine creation, this argument holds no sway. I do not so my thinking is that over billions of years of time, of the countless living organisms that have existed since life as we know it began, only one time, has any organism developed intelligence capable of a technological society. We are the only example. So, in the one example we have, the odds weren’t all that good.

Nevertheless, here we are. We, in our hubris, use that as a basis to believe intelligence is the be all and end all of evolution. In reality, that simply isn’t true. Many animals could be viewed as more successful, in terms of numbers, biomass, adaptability, etc. As far as evolution is concerned, intelligence is like the retractable claw, the prehensile tail, etc. It’s a unusual but useful survival trait for an otherwise unremarkable species.

5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Satan/the devil/ and demons and the hordes of multitudes that serve them cause a lot of depression.

The Creator, The Messiah, the few who serve the Kingdom of Heaven share unlimited peace, joy and righteousness, even in the midst now of lifelong persecution and multitudes of problems .

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It will be a long time before the human race is in a position to have explored enough of the universe to make that determination, unless, of course, they come across proof of extraterrestrial life on a relatively nearby planet or we have proof of having been visited by extraterrestrials. I suspect there is life on some other planets, not because I have seen evidence of space aliens or anything, but because it makes sense that there would be.

7. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

There is life out there no doubt, simple bacteria is life. A life scale like ours, not likely.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

One other thing in science fiction that kind of surprises me is that we always assume first contact will be with alien “life”. Our own experience, and common sense, indicates if first contact should happen, it is most likely to be with machines, robots, A.I.s etc. from another civilization. They make journeys much more easily than intelligent life as we know it and are much more prevalent in our own explorations of the solar system, and beyond, than any kind of life.

9. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

there's no other life...all frozen or burnt...
    we're next

10. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The concept of infinity can be difficult to get a grasp of in that it applies to the absence of limits in math, science, the dimensions of space & time, cellular/molecular/atomic structure, etc. etc. Thus, IMHO, our understanding of what is or isn't in "the universe" is infinitely small in comparison to what may really be there - or not..

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Intelligent life as we know it is very very very limited.
    Intelligent life as we don't know it is very very very infinite, unlimited, beyond wildest imaginations or dreams.
    Spiritual life is available. Infinite Kingdom of the Almighty is at hand now.
    His Angels ARE ministering spirits for the saints/believers/little children trusting Him..

Yes, they are watching mankind to learn, to know, what salvation is,
    as Angels do not experience the same kind of judgment and mercy and
    Jesus was a sacrifice to save sinners, humans only, not the angels who sinned who have no option nor way to be saved.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2022
    Teresa Levitt likes this.
  12. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I deem it highly impractical if not impossible to affirm the lack of something within the entire universe. The space is simply too much for us to completely explore, especially since the universe is constantly expanding. But while the first hypothetical question seems immaterial, the following comment warrants serious consideration:

"To me, it would be depressing to know we are alone in the universe because it would make no sense in terms of why this creation began."

First, there's no need to conclude that we're alone in the universe just because we haven't engaged with alien life from other planets. I don't believe we ever will since it's counter to Biblical creation doctrine and mathematically impossible by current evolutionary theory. However, there is evidence for a spirit world of beings both inside and outside of the universe. As the Christian knows, there's peace, joy, and comfort to be found in knowing that we're not alone here. God is ever present around us and within the hearts of those who accept him - in addition to the millions of angels engaged with the world and our lives.

Second, from a Christian/Biblical perspective, the entire universe was created for man here on planet Earth. God created the universe to not only display his glory and power to us, but to also reveal evidence of his existence so that people are without excuse for not believing in him. To that point, our lone planet of life in the universe does make sense.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.