If You Have A Pet Explain Why

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don’t have any primarily because of the work involved which includes dealing with “mistakes”. My neighbors have dogs and some are quiet, friendly and likeable, and others are noisy and unfriendly monsters. I can see the benefits of the companionship but don’t want to deal with the negatives.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

After we get rid of our boat, after next year, we plan on getting a registered Shih Tzu puppy. We already have some toys, and a few other things, including a doggy indoor/outdoor playpen. We were, originally, going to get it when we lived in Florida, but since we were planning on moving back to Colorado, we decided to wait.

This would be our second dog, being that our first one was a Siberian/Malamute Mix Female we named Nikki. Great dog, but we were some 15 years younger then.

Tony Page and Ed Wilson like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Because they are loveable, loyal and protective . They are much easier to raise and care for than children !

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

You tell them, Gloria!!

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:D

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

If you aren't willing to invest time, energy, money, and LOVE into caring for a little pet, please DON'T get one. From your post that you "don't want to deal with the negatives," I'd say that you shouldn't bother.

There is nothing like the love of a dog in my opinion; they love unconditionally and even when your teeth aren't brushed or you're having a bad day. My little dog died 4 years ago and I'm still not over it; he was a part of the family and I miss him every single day. We would love to have another dog someday, though.

7. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

The current fur kid in my house was part of the package deal - my SO rescued the little guy almost 9 years ago, and they are as close as a person and a pet can possibly be. He is a Shih Tzu, about 12 pounds, but he barks above his weight.

I have had a pet (dogs) since 2001, when my first wife, who was dealing with a terminal disease, asked if she could have a Shih Tzu to keep her company. Of course she could. Several years later, after she had passed away and I had remarried, we decided the Shih Tzu needed a little brother, and we found a toy poodle that was perfect. These 2 each lived about 16 years.

Yes they require attention, but that's a good thing. It gets me off the couch.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't have any pets, but a couple of felines are part of my family.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have had dogs whenever it was possible. Currently have a mis-bred Australian Shepherd who is 14 years old and we expect him to pass sometime this winter. He has been a bit of a pain sometimes, but the companionship is wonderful. Initially, he was my wife's dog, but she had a tough time controlling such an energetic dog. I had just lost a beloved German Shepherd when my wife adopted him as an adult. He became my dog when we here home together as I was recovering from my broken back and my wife was at work. We have bonded ever since. We have enough property that the clean up chore are not an issue. We are not sure whether we will get another dog we he dies.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I got a puppy and a kitten when I was doing animal rescue volunteer work, and they both lived to be in their early 20s. I decided that I wanted the freedom from having to worry about being home after a certain length of time to attend to the poor critters, or finding care when I went out of town. Sometimes my job would take me away from home with little notice. Or I would be out with friends and not want to worry about the cruelty of making the dog wait.

I did not mind the duties of pet ownership, and I loved my critters, but there were schedule requirements that I could not meet. Even now I'm retired, I don't want to be somewhere and have to worry to get home to let the dog out.

11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

First for protection from people second to help a poor caged shelter dog or cat wwhen we had them.
    We have had some great dogs and cats. We still speak of them today,it is too hard tose one so we have a problem making a decision about another one. Shelter will fix the dog and all shots for just about $200. Sheriff said best protection anyone can have is a dog.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Laura Jones

Laura Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have a German Shepherd, I love dogs and that is why I adopted her, my husband also loves her and spoils her terribly!

Don Alaska likes this.