If You Were To Lose Your Wallet Or Purse, Do You Think You'd Get It Back?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, May 24, 2023.

?

If you were to lose your wallet (or purse) in your town, do you think it would be returned intact?

1. 1 (definately not)

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. 2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 3

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. 4

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. 5

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. 6

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10 (definitely so)

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you were to lose your wallet (or purse) in your town, with $500 in cash & credit cards, what are the chances of it being returned intact?

Janine Coral likes this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Nah I’d very much doubt it would be returned at all let alone intact

Janine Coral likes this.
  3. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Based on three times in the past ten years or so, when I have
    lost my wallet in town, two of those times all returned in tack and
    cash included. One time nothing returned but I was able to put
    a hold on my one credit card immediately. Bye Bye to the cash
    of only $75...

$500 and if I had that in my wallet, it would never have been
    returned, just a hunch.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd like to have some faith in humanity but sadly, people are what they are. I selected 3 because I'm still hopeful that one of the "good ones" would find my bag.

5. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, this one brought back a memory from 30 years ago. Both good & bad.
    I was on my way to a dentist appointment. I stopped at a nearby "Target" store to kill some time. I was browsing in the sporting-goods aisle when I saw a woman's wallet on the bottom shelf - really overstuffed.. I looked around for someone who might have dropped it, but no luck.
    I opened it to check for an I.D. The woman's driver's license was there - along with over $4,000.00 in cash - mostly $100.00's.
    I called "Information" (remember that?) & got her telephone number from her address. She wasn't home, so I left a message on her answering machine - that I found her wallet at "Target," I know about the cash, I have to keep an important emergency dental appointment but I put the wallet in my gun safe, so don't worry about it; I'll call back after my appointment in about an hour. I also left my name, address & phone number.

After my dental appointment, when I got home, there were several frantic messages on my answering machine from her - she was crying hysterically. I called her & we met at the Target customer service counter. Of course, she was very grateful & insisted on giving me $200.00 that I didn't want.
    The store employees asked me, "Why didn't you just give us the wallet? we have a Lost & Found." I said, "Do you really want me to answer that?"

Here's the bad: Two of my friends told me I was very stupid to return the wallet - especially with all that money in it.
    After calling them several 4-letter words, I never spoke to them, again.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope you find my purse. :D

Tony Nathanson likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I voted 10. I don't think that many people here would keep it. I wonder what the odds might be in a "cynical" place like NYC?

I mentioned that I found some cash in a bank envelope at Walmart and tracked down the owner in the parking lot.

8. Ken Anderson

I've lost mine three times in my life and got it back each time. I think there are more good people than bad.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I voted a 4, just because of the area where we live, and if there was $500, I do not think that would still be there, even if everything else was.
    However……
    A couple of years ago, Bobby and I had been to Walmart shopping. I had my little bitty purse , which is just big enough to hold my phone and a little cash/cards, and it is black on one side.
    When we got out of Walmart, it was pouring rain, so Bobby said to get in the truck and he would load everything up and take the cart to the cart rack (which he did).

As we started driving down the road, my watch sent me an alert that i didn’t have my phone (did I ever say how much I LOVE my Apple Watch ?), so I looked for my purse, and it was not there.
    Bobby stopped and he looked all over the back seat and it was not there either; so we determined that I had forgotten it in the basket of the shopping cart, and since it was just a little black blob, Bobby didn’t see it there because the basket is black, too.

We rushed back to Walmart, and of course, the cart was already gone, but my watch was telling me that the phone was there somewhere; so I rushed in and went to the customer service area.
    When I explained who I was and described my purse, they had it, and everything was inside it. There certainly was not $500, but what little money I had was still there.
    Someone had found it in the cart and turned it in. I was SO thankful , and said a prayer for blessings for that unknown person who returned my purse.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. John Brunner

I didn't know I could do that. There have been a number of times I've left my phone at home accidentally, and been glad I have the watch that is a stand-alone phone as well...but I've never been notified when they get separated.

I see the "Find My..." app, but that only pings devices when you use the app. My watch does not appear in the Notifications area. Perhaps it's not supported. I see User comments dated 2020 lamenting the lack of such a function...perhaps my phone/watch are too old.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Thanks, Yvonne. I'll take a look at that. I found what you found...your phone will tell you if you left your air buds behind, but not your watch. I don't really care because I wear no other watch.

I found the app on my phone that's supposed to do what I want, I just need to find better instructions. Maybe your link will do it. I was gonna go to the Verizon store next time I'm out, but I want to be in control of the settings that are enabled (in other words, I have trust issues.)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Depends on where I lost it (purse). I've left it in stores until I got to the car, several times, and someone had turned it in, or it was right where I left it, when I went back. If I left it in the parking lot and drove off, it would likely be gone for good.

I've left credit cards at stores several times and someone always turned them in. I was amazed one time at a grocery store, they searched through a whole box full of credit cards to find mine.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

I indicated an 8. If I were to lose my wallet here in town, there's a good chance that whoever found it would know who I was, and the chances are better than not that they'd return it. The chances are very low that anyone here would use my credit cards but some people might steal any cash that was in it. Probably not, though.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  15. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I voted 3.

Maybe I should have more faith in people. About 20 years ago I left my purse in a shopping cart in a Walmart parking lot and didn't miss it until I got home. I went back sure that it was gone and it wasn't in the cart parking where I had left it. But, I went in and asked and sure enough it was at Customer Service, safe and sound. I asked if the person who turned it in left a name but they didn't.

Things seem different to me now. I know there are still good people but I think it's harder to find them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.